Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Value bet river, or CK to induce bluff?

Got called in two spots w/ open aces on 6th. Bet or ck call?

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.70 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.35 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (1.35 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (4.35 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___Hero?

Total pot: (4.35 BB)
Old 08-16-2006, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Value bet river, or CK to induce bluff?

Fold third. Yuck. Bet the river.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold third. Yuck. Bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2006, 10:18 AM

Yeah Todd,

I think just about everybody on this forum would fold 3rd unless the table seemed very loose and very passive. And the hand sure played that way.

But still at 3rd, and especially in 1st position, a small, one gap straight with very weak flush opportunities is pretty loose.

Bet the river.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:18 AM

Bet 4th - you're letting unimproved hand stick around cheaply - a bit no-no in stud8. [EDIT: DIDN'T FIRST REALIZE THAT THIS WAS STUD HIGH - FOLD 3RD - YOU DON'T EVEN BELONG IN THE HAND]

Considering the size of the pot and the hand you're representing, I think it's a river value bet and fold to a raise. It's possible that you'll get a crying call from a worse 2 pr and considering the hand you've represented you aren't likely to get re-raised with anything less than a boat.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:43 AM

I agree that the 3d call was very weak. I dont do this often, but with a passive table adn a free shot at the 5, I will infrequently call here. (Plus i handnt played a hand in 10 hands!).

But that said, when I get to the river, I almost always will bet unimproved Aces, as well as Aces up. So I guess just bet and hope smaller two pairs will call to see if you made 2pr.

Thanks,

T
Old 08-17-2006, 04:37 PM

It really doesn't matter if the table is loose and passive. This hand is totally unplayable in this position. If the table were loose and passive and you completed the action (ie no chance of raise behind) it could be playable with a few callers in.

I'd bet the river just because you'll get called by worse hands a lot in low limit stud. If you have a read that one of the players is pretty loose-aggro I like a check, not just because he'll bet for you, but also because the pot is small and so you don't like calling a river raise.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:45 PM

ditto
Old 08-17-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Plus i handnt played a hand in 10 hands!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't take this personally...but BFD! This is no reason to play crap. (FWIW, I go 10-20 hands all the time without seeing 4th street.)

Now, having said that, you obviously had a great read on this table inasmuch as they played as LAP as I have EVER seen at a 1/2 stud table. Although betting the river here would seem to be the "conventional wisdom" play, because the pot is so small I'd be extremely surprised if anyone called it with two smaller pairs. Therefore, I think I'd try a check-raise on the river.

P.S. Given what happened on 3rd and 4th streets, I think you should have bet 5th street. This is what I consider to be a classic case of when to semi-bluff with a scare card on 5th street to get them to fold.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:34 PM

Please don't take this personally...but BFD!

--

Cripes, that was a joke! It was a bad call. Terrible. I agree. The call on third isnt really the point.

The point was could I get one of these passive guys to put more money in the pot on the river with 2pr, thinking that my chk on the river meant I only had Aces. Is this a play anyone makes, etc...

T