Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Starbucks

[ QUOTE ]
1. I like a lot of milk in the coffee so I order a grande in a venti cup - otherwise I have to pour out a ton of coffee into the garbage every time I put milk in. Acceptable practice?
2. Does the brewing of a new "featured coffee" almost every day actually drive sales of whole bean bags of that coffee? Maybe it's because I am usually only in a Starbucks during the AM rush, but I never see people buy bags of coffee.
3. I order a grande iced unsweetened coffee. The cashier calls out "iced grande unsweetened iced coffee" every time. Why repeat the word iced?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Perfectly acceptable, if I'm on a roadtrip and stop at a Starbucks to order something, I'll do this. Drive-Thru stores even have modifier buttons on their registers in order to ring this properly.
2. The same coffees are typically brewed for a week, they don't switch over daily. It doesn't typically drive sales that you can easily see in day to day operations, but it does allow customers to try different blends, which is kinda cool. And yes, people do buy beans, even in the morning rush.

3. That's just the way we are supposed to call drinks. First you indicate whether the drink is iced or not. Then you would say the size, then you would say whether or not it is sweetened (in your case), then you would state the name of the drink. In your case, the name of the drink is "Iced Coffee", not "Coffee". Thus, "Iced Grande Iced Coffee."
Old 07-31-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ClassicBob,

NBA POSTERS REPRESENT!!! Good job with this thread. Hope you're not still pissed at me cuz I forgot you in that list of Mavericks homers that one time.

Hey, I'm a 2-3X/week Starbucks customer (Iced Chai Latte, sue me). I typically go in one in the Safeway by my place since I have a 1/2 mile commute to work. However, there are two standalone Starbucksesses a mile to the west and another couple a mile or two the other way.

Anyway, I've heard a stigma attached to the ones in grocery stores and what not, that they're not "real" Starbucks. Any thoughts that the product or talent level of baristas may be inferior at those? My drink is ridiculously easy to make so they get it right, but the employees are Safeway employees, not Starbucks employees, and their pastry selection is disappointingly slim as well. What have you heard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to reply to this because the one I worked at was in a safeway.

I started there when the starbucks was first put in. Since it was opened yet, we got a full week of training in the kiosk without having to deal with customers. We spent a full 40 hours with a starbucks trainer before the store was even opened.

All future employees we hired were trained with the same structure and testing as regular starbucks employees. We had regular and inspectors to make sure everything as up to starbucks code and all that jazz.

People think it's a lower version of starbucks, but it's really exactly the same, albeit with limited pastries. The drink menu is still the same.

The employees get shafted though. The safeway union benefits, by and large, are alot worse than the starbucks ones. We didn't get any perks at all. Plus we had to deal with twice as many secret shoppers (safeway and starbucks).

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like traz pwned me on the licensed concepts.

Whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, didn't mean to steal your shine :P
Old 07-31-2007, 09:24 PM

CB,

How often would you say that a hot Starbucks chick gets asked out by a customer?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 PM

It was written in response to guids' original assertion that economically challenged hippies were going to starbucks, which struck me as odd in a number of ways. Seemed fair to say that anyone who was really economically challenged, at least by my definition(someone who was in trouble involuntarily rather than voluntarily), wasn't out blowing that kinda cash.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:29 PM

Blarg,

How would you define "economically challenged"?

My point was simply that lots of people who really can't afford it patronize Starbucks. A number of those people would be characterized by most people as being "poor."
Old 07-31-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

sorry, didn't mean to steal your shine :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, it's cool. I'm glad you got some info out that I wasn't aware of.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:30 PM

CBob,

i have never actually drank coffee in my life, but this thread is truly fascinating and i have always wondered about people with no extra cash who spend $300 plus a month at starbucks. i know a bunch of them too, crazy.

my question for you is this.
i had a friend who i was trying to help overhaul his lifestyle and diet and he drank 3 or 4 of these a day.
holy jeez, no one can overcome that can they??!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutr...age_detail.asp

were you aware, as an employee, of the nutrional value or calorie content of some of these drinks?? and do you see alot of overweight people staying that way probably due to their "bad" coffee habit??

it amazed me.....that is all. oh and cool thread. J.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CB,

How often would you say that a hot Starbucks chick gets asked out by a customer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that often. You do see a lot of pathetic yuppie flirting though. It's pretty awesome to watch.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CB,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that often. You do see a lot of pathetic yuppie flirting though. It's pretty awesome to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Transcript?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CB,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Transcript?

[/ QUOTE ]

"So, what exactly is Flipside?"