Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Should Vice Principal Lose Her Job? - (*Warning-Gruesome topic\")

Just a warning - the topic below concerns a dead child.....

This lady in my city completely forgot about her little daughter and left her all day in her hot car while she went to work at a middle school where she is an assistant principal. Tragically, the girl died. The local prosecutor decided not to press charges. I don’t know, I’ve mixed feelings on this. A great amount of compassion and yet disbelief that anyone could be so negligent.

Now we come to learn that Brenda Slaby had actually been warned on several occasions not to leave her baby in the car while she went inside her other daughter's day care center.

People in my town are horrified. The parents at her school are sending hundreds of emails and phone calls (not to mention talking on forums) threatening to pull their kids out of the school if she isn't fired. But the school has said they are bound by a contract. By all accounts she was a pretty good and reliable employee. Her friends and the prosecutor are supporting this woman and accuse the rest of the town of being uncompassionate and creating a mob mentality.

So I ask the lounge this - Does gross negligence of your own child justify dismissal from your job if you work in a school? Are these parents being reasonable to demand Brenda Slaby’s firing?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Should Vice Principal Lose Her Job? - (*Warning-Gruesome topic\")

If she's been warned several times she should not only lose her job but be prosecuted too.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:00 PM

I thought Ohio had laws against negligence and child endangerment.

Why isn't this woman being prosecuted for involuntary manslaughter and the above?

I don't know if I could justify firing her, as this isn't work-related, but I don't deny the people's concern. I certainly would not trust my children under this woman's care. If she can't take care of her own children, then she can't take care of mine.

The underlying problem is that she does work in administration, and that is an indirect impact on the children. If she was the cook, or a teacher, I would have greater concern.

I think that the way that the school is handling this is horrible, calling people "mob mentality." I can't understand why they don't see your perspective. I would be more inclined to take my kid out of this school, especially if I was paying for it, since it is clear that they have no care for kids or the parents.

I don't get protocols. I understand the underlying spirit of them, and they are put in place for a reason. The problem is that small minded people misinterpret them and then hide behind them to decline making tough decisions. But there should be protocols that people should meet certain eligibility requirement to not only receive the job, but to maintain it as well. From this perspective, I could say that she should lose her job.

Sorry about the woman, but I hope that the state is taking away her other child. Why wasn't anyone calling the state for her child? I doubt that this is the only example of blatant negligence.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If she's been warned several times she should not only lose her job but be prosecuted too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree completely
Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM

first answer was best so far.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:14 PM

Negligent homicide. Jail.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Negligent homicide. Jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close
Negligent homicide.
Locked in a car on a hot day and allowed to slowly die!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:12 PM

i think regardless of whether she's been warned, she should be charged and convicted.

wtf, forgetting your kid in the car? I'm not a parent, and I think that's ridiculous.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody needs to be warned about this even once. People know not to do this even to their dogs. The lady did it knowingly and was unconcerned about her kid to a degree that is truly appalling.

It's a ridiculous thing to do, and speaks of a dangerously narcissistic mental disorder, to even do a more understandable version of this crime. A lady a while back left her kid in the car coming back from the store, and the kid died from the heat. Did she do it by accident? I pretty much doubt it. But at least she could make a very weak case A sufficiently idiotic and self-absorbed person could forget about their kid for an hour. But going to work all day and leaving your kid in the car? Sooner or later it would occur to anyone that they had done the wrong thing.

This lady is sociopathic enough that I would not want her around any children again for the rest of her life. She should not just lose her job, but her career. And then she should go before the courts and lose something more serious, in accordance with the depths of her depravity.

I am sure this woman will one day have another child, to validate her now damaged ego, which is clearly the only important thing in her life. I pity the child enormously. The very best it can hope for is to be a vastly distant second in her mother's affections to her mother herself.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody needs to be warned about this even once. People know not to do this even to their dogs. The lady did it knowingly and was unconcerned about her kid to a degree that is truly appalling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. Nobody of normal intelligence should need to be warned about this. The fact that she was, and the daycare center even went so far as to put it in their newsletter because they were alarmed, is very shocking. I hadn't thought about her having a narcissistic personality but maybe you're onto something.

I had thought more along the lines of her being so damn focused on her meetings and getting through her "errands" that she completely lost track of the baby. The idea that she has a narcissistic personality kind of makes a little more sense to me now because I was wondering how on earth any woman could be THAT spacey.

Can you imagine anyone, of any socio-economic class, forgetting about an impaired senior citizen in their care and leaving them in a car to die? They would be sent to prison for sure. It would be considered gross neglect and manslaughter.