Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 09:44 AM

Default The Demise of OneCall.com

When Pokerstars initially signed on with OneCall.com a year or two ago for all of their electronic FPP sales; OneCall was one of the cheapest online electronic stores. Their prices would be considerably lower than stores such as Crutchfield. In fact, they were in line with the lowest prices that you could find via PriceGrabber, Froogle, etc.

Fast forward two years and now OneCall is the MOST expensive online electronics store; precisely in line with Crutchfield which everyone knows is the most expensive. Their prices are identical for every product!

Here is OneCall's price match guarantee as posted on their website.

[ QUOTE ]
OneCall will match the online, delivered price for identical, in-stock products with like delivery service from the list of competitors below. Additionally, we will price protect your purchase 7 days from your purchase date. If either OneCall's price or a competitor's price from the list below reduces then we will credit you the difference.

* Amazon.com Retail
* Abt Electronics
* Best Buy
* Circuit City
* Crutchfield
* J&R Music World
* Tweeter
* Vann's

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: Our prices are identical to the most expensive electronic stores on the web. If for some reason one of these overpriced stores lowers their price, we will too. What a joke...

Onecall does not have nearly the history nor reputation of these other large, more expensive, electronic stores so I do not understand how they think they can get away with having these ridiculous prices. Personally, I think they raised their prices because a large portion of their business is coming from Pokerstars. All of the electronics listed in the Pokerstars store ships directly from OneCall. They even have a $1000 gift certificate available. Basically us Pokerstars players have little say in the price we are paying minus saving up for the concierge service and buying the items ourselves at other stores. I think this is ridiculous and close to price gouging although it'd be hard to prove since their prices are identical to Crutchfield. I think Pokerstars needs to put some pressure on OneCall to lower their prices so that they are some what competitive with stores you will find on PriceGrabber, etc. Exactly like they were when Pokerstars brough them on for their electronic purchases. If they fail to lower their prices, I think Pokerstars needs to move on and find a much more competitive store.

I have personally purchased thousands of dollars of electronics through Pokerstars and via Onecall.com in the past when they were previously competitive. No more. I refuse to over pay hundreds of dollars in FPP's and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

For example:

I am interested in purchasing a Yamaha RX-V2700 Receiver.

OneCall's price: $1598.99
Every price match competitors price: $1598.99
Competitive PriceGrabber price: $1000-$1100

Onecall is overpriced by $500! Every other items price is identical; this isnt a one item issue. What a joke.

BOYCOTT OneCall.com and let's ask Pokerstars to put pressure on them to lower their prices and if they refuse to move on to another, more competitive company.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: The Demise of OneCall.com

amazon often has the cheapest prices on electronics
i just got some onecall certs and they told me they would price match with pretty much anyone
what sites for electronics have these dirt cheap prices that you speak of?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
amazon often has the cheapest prices on electronics
i just got some onecall certs and they told me they would price match with pretty much anyone
what sites for electronics have these dirt cheap prices that you speak of?

[/ QUOTE ]

They end in .ru or .kz, etc.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:36 AM

thanks for being so specific
Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 AM

Ummmm...OP provided the link already.

[ QUOTE ]
Competitive PriceGrabber price: $1000-$1100

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Onecall does not have nearly the history nor reputation of these other large, more expensive, electronic stores

[/ QUOTE ]

This is simply incorrect. OneCall, outside of NewEgg, is just about the highest rated online consumer electronics store.

Reseller ratings

I'll also take exception to your assertion that their prices are that high across the board. For most things I've looked at (a small sample, granted), OneCall has been pretty competitive.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:53 AM

AP10,

The real question given OneCall's obviously high margins, is whether stars is getting a discount/kickback that lessens the cost of FPPs applied by players to such products. Whereas with an amazon gift certificate or more competitive electronics supplier that wouldn't be the case.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Translation: Our prices are identical to the most expensive electronic stores on the web. If for some reason one of these overpriced stores lowers their price, we will too. What a joke...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if using one particular electronics item is enough substantial evidence here. I got my 42" LCD through Onecall.com, pricematched w/ Amazon and got a price nearly identical to everything on pricegrabber. I am also more comfortable doing my business with a larger volume merchant than other ones listed on pricegrabber.

I just got my Casio Exilim 7.2MP, 7.0 Opt zoom camera from Onecall also for $299, mean price from smaller retailers on pricegrabber is $285, which I can live with. Onecall's prices are still way below my local B&M retailers like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. so I feel I am saving money.

When I call Onecall.com to make my orders, someone picks up the phone immediately and is always very knowledgeable.

Of course, you can always use concierge service to buy a gift certificate to another retailer if that's your preference.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:34 PM

I ordered a digital rebel and they made an error and agreed to give me the new model at the same cost. No problems, easy and quick.

Mega
Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 PM

I doubt they raised prices cuz of Stars gift certs.
I have done lots of business w/ oncall and their customer service + speedy deliveries are second to none.
If amazon has the item u want just save up for concierge.