Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Human Weapon on History Channel

This show debuted last night. It's about 2 guys (a MMA guy and a football player/wrestler) that travel the world to study a new form of fighting every week. At the end of the episode, one guy is picked to use the skills they learned in an exhibition match.

Last night was Muay Thai in Thailand. Overall, I thought it was really cool. They didn't just go to one place and study there. Instead, they travelled all over the country picking up different elements of Muay Thai & other Thai fighting, some of which they made sound like very exclusive and rare offshoots of the martial art. As they go along, they do a great job with computer animation & physics to demonstrate what is so effective about each technique. Also, you get a pretty good look at the culture and history of the country & martial art.

The fight at the end was sorta cool, but the Muay Thai champion was obviously taking it easy. The guy did do a really good job of defending though. I hope the fights are a little more intense in the future. I'd like to see some legit knockouts/submissions. The guy earlier in the episode that got KTFO with an elbow and bleed out of every oriface of this head made up for it though.

Website (warning: plays a video)

Anyone else watch? What did you think? I think I'm definitely in for all episodes of this show. It's well done. The guys are likeable. There's ass kicking. And there's history. Thumbs up from me.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Human Weapon on History Channel

Good show I liked it. Hopefully the next few episodes are even better.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:39 PM

The show was okay. I reallly did like some of the muy thai highlights where people got jacked up.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:52 PM

I watched most of it. I thought alot of the moves were explained well and the entire thing was pretty cool. That champ wouldve KTFO the other guy though (obv). Those M-Thai fighters are crazy.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:17 PM

Learning a fighting style ever week sounds LOL. But I'll look for episodes of the show.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Next week is Eskrima, a Filipino stick/swordfighting technique. Sounds like it should be fun...

"Along the way, they'll attempt to take down a 2000-pound water buffalo using techniques developed on the rice patties at the foot of the Manalanga Mountains, and perfect Eskrima stick twirling techniques on rickety bamboo rafts beneath the waterfalls in the jungles of Badian. Finally one of our hosts will enter a gritty cockfight ring for an Eskrima stick fight against a 5-time world champion."
Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see some legit knockouts/submissions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not going to happen since the 2 main guys can't become experts in such as short time.

Overall, a good concept for a show. I wonder what they will do if the show becomes very popular and goes into a 4th season down the road (how many different fighting styles can they possibly show?).
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see some legit knockouts/submissions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not going to happen since the 2 main guys can't become experts in such as short time.

Overall, a good concept for a show. I wonder what they will do if the show becomes very popular and goes into a 4th season down the road (how many different fighting styles can they possibly show?).

[/ QUOTE ]

There are over 300 styles of kung fu alone. And that's not counting that in most styles, there is weapon usage somewhere along the line, and so you can look at a style in more than one program. So the material is almost unlimited.

Unfortunately, some styles take so many years to learn that you can't really cover too much, certainly competitive-wise. I can't imagine them learning squat about bagua, for instance -- well, except maybe the squatting part.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:06 AM

I watched some of this on the plane. It actually wasn't half bad. I have to admit I saw some ad's on street corners around here and it didnt look like anything I wanted to watch
Old 07-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Btw on the weekend they're showing two episodes of it, so anyone who missed it can catch up. I think it's starting at 5 or 6 on Sunday.