Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Unsuccesful bluff!

Sorry I couldn't find the hand but this keeps buzzing in my head. Here is a brief explanation:

I am a ring game player but every Saturday I fire up a couple of mtt to play along with the nova freeroll on stars.

$55 mtt, blinds 100/200, I app.6000 chips, villain(read:loose/passive) app.8000 chips, 9-handed.

Evr1 folds, I mp3(AKs) raise 600, villain sb calls, folds

flop:Q109o, villain bets 400, I call
turn:4o. villain bets 400, I call
river:10o, villain bets 300, I raise pot, villain calls and shows Q3o(what a [censored] donk).

Did I play this bad?Comments?

And apologies if this is not high stakes, I thought its not small stakes, you may move if so.
ty
Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Unsuccesful bluff!

Raise the donk bet on the flop to like 1400 or so. He's betting for information and to block to get a cheap showdown. You will see this a lot in tournaments at that level. Tell him what he wants to hear - that his hand is no good and he can make a good fold on the basis of his cunning bet to see where he stands.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the donk bet on the flop to like 1400 or so. He's betting for information and to block to get a cheap showdown. You will see this a lot in tournaments at that level. Tell him what he wants to hear - that his hand is no good and he can make a good fold on the basis of his cunning bet to see where he stands.

[/ QUOTE ]
In general, I like this advice against this kind of donkbet.

Here, you often have 10 outs or are ahead, so I like just calling.

The problem with a pot sized river bluff is you have to get villain to fold half the time for it to be profitable.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, suppose I raise flop and he calls(which would have been more likely as he did call a big riverbet with his sh!tty hand anyway), do I c/f turn and river then?
Wouldn't that be the same as my river bluff?!
My thoughts at the time were for me to pretend slowplaying top p/overp/strt/trips on a rainbow flop/turn.
Then on river as another 10 came out, from his small bet I figured he was betting a pair of nines to get a cheap showdown, hence my raise.

[ QUOTE ]
In general, I like this advice against this kind of donkbet.

Here, you often have 10 outs or are ahead, so I like just calling.

The problem with a pot sized river bluff is you have to get villain to fold half the time for it to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally is the call of a pot sized bet with his hand on that board in mtt happening more than 50% of the time?
Personally I would fold 90% if I was there, but ofcourse I would rarely get involved in sb with Q3o and that stack.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally is the call of a pot sized bet with his hand on that board in mtt happening more than 50% of the time?
Personally I would fold 90% if I was there, but ofcourse I would rarely get involved in sb with Q3o and that stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know he has Q3o when you bluff the river. Also, are your plays consistent with a big hand? He could call with a lot less than TPNK if he thinks you are bluffing.

Also, my point was that in general, making a large river bluff is usually not a good play. Often a smaller bet looks more like a value bet, and you are getting much better odds that way.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:54 PM

It does not look like you are representing anything. If you had a set, KJ or two pair you would have probably raised the flop and you would have definitely raised the turn.

I guess you could be representing AT/KT/JT but if you had those hands would you really full pot the river? I mean, i guess so if you know he will call with Q3 but most players are betting less with a rivered trips.

It looks to me like you have a naked jack for an OESD that whiffed...

I agree that you should raise his donk bet on the turn. It is such a clear blocking bet that it is simply begging to get raised.

Also, i'd prefer if you didn't post results and this probably belongs in LSMTT but whatever