Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Bored... so made a boring stats post.

Since I'm new to 6max I'm not very confident in reading its stats yet. So I assembled this for your viewing pleasure... I don't usually like stats post because they often don't reveal any specific problem, but I might give it a try.

First thing is: I'm losing. Granted, it's only 20k hands, but I'm wondering about the general trend. If I compare my numbers to some posted here they seem to look fine? Except W$SD is low, indicating running bad? Also, I'm losing big time on one-pair hands. Isn't that strange? Why?

So I ran it through pokerEV to see about the running bad part. Well, the first graphs shows I ran slightly bad, but not by much it appears. Why is the total won (green) graph so much lower? Do I fold too much? Do I chase too much? Maybe both in the wrong spots?

Then I examined the strange one-pair hands in the next graph. It appears I'm running bad with single pairs. (?)

Finally, there a bar graph of hands that went to showdown, and the sklansky bucks vs the money put it. It shows I usually have a large pre-flop edge when I go to showdown, and small edges on flop/turn/river.

Any thoughts? Anything clearly wrong? Thank you for reading through this boring post [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Bored... so made a boring stats post.

A few things that I noticed.

- Wtsd is high for 1/2. There could be several reasons for this but i suspect its a leak of yours.

- You are not doing a good job adjusting to position. Your vpip is high UTG but low OTB.

- Please dont open limp in 6max

- You defend a lot in the SB. 75% isnt a lot for 5/10 and up but I doubt its optimal at 1/2. Do you 3-bet everytime BTW?

- Your ATSB is lowish. Prolly not a huge problem at 1/2 but as mentioned before; position is king.

To be honest I think its a mixture of you running bad and having leaks. Most likely you are not adjusting properly from FR.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A few things that I noticed.

- Wtsd is high for 1/2. There could be several reasons for this but i suspect its a leak of yours.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm always worried I fold too much. I'm not comfortable there, so it's a distinct possibility that it's a leak.

[ QUOTE ]

- You are not doing a good job adjusting to position. Your vpip is high UTG but low OTB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm... I'm using stox's opening standards. But yeah, I am often tempted not to make a difference between, say, folding KTo one spot earlier and just play it. That could be it.
[ QUOTE ]

- Please dont open limp in 6max

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I don't actually. I see there's a tiny difference UTG; maybe I have limped once, or misclicked, I don't know. Anyway, I don't, so that's ok.

[ QUOTE ]

- You defend a lot in the SB. 75% isnt a lot for 5/10 and up but I doubt its optimal at 1/2. Do you 3-bet everytime BTW?

[/ QUOTE ]
I find it somewhat difficult playing $1/2, as I'm used to much higher level full ring games. Actually, I find it very difficult to play $1/2; I can't read hands properly, fail to interpret bets -- they donk any street more often than not? -- and can't handle 5 people to a flop well...

I do usually 3 bet from SB, but I think I may have been calling sometimes, probably when it was already multiway.

[ QUOTE ]

- Your ATSB is lowish. Prolly not a huge problem at 1/2 but as mentioned before; position is king.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I have to get used to the hand ranges. I think that's already better now than it was at the start of these 20k hands. I do consciously steal less when my stats say he never folds his BB. I usually look at the combination of "fold BB to steal%" and my cards, and many $1/2 players hardly ever fold a blind, so I see little value in raising some specific hands, like 22-44. It's hard to play people who don't fold, don't bet, and don't raise.

[ QUOTE ]

To be honest I think its a mixture of you running bad and having leaks. Most likely you are not adjusting properly from FR.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I'm quite sure it's me leaking all over the place. Not only because it's 6max, but also because it's $1/2. I detest playing at these limits, but I want to fix the big leaks first before I move up. How often do you take ace-high to showdown heads-up? And how often a bottom/middle pair? I waste so much money calling. Usually when I'm betting it's ok, I sometimes lose and often win, but when I just c/c they so often show a winner. I think I call weak hands too much.

Oh, thanks for the response btw.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:55 AM

I think I have found 1 leak [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I usually look at the combination of "fold BB to steal%" and my cards, and many $1/2 players hardly ever fold a blind, so I see little value in raising some specific hands, like 22-44.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont want to make it a starting hands discussion. But you are wrong to tighten up whenever BB is loose and "never" folds his BB.

If you are OTB with a TAG SB a loose passive donk in BB you should loosen up. And by loosen up I mean practically any 2. (ok, not quite any 2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

In that spot the most likely outcome is you HU with position vs the fish. You should really really try and play hands in that spot since that is the most profitable spot in LHE besides when you take down the blinds outright.

The most crappy spot in LHE is when you open a marginal holding and someone 3-bets you in position or you get several floaters. This is why you should tighten up UTG in 1/2 IMO. I think my vpip is 17 in UTG and I use stox recomendations as well - its weird that your vpip in UTG is higher. One of us must be reading his hand chart wrong [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2007, 01:57 PM

You're quite a bit looser UTG than I'd guess was the way to go. You might steal a bit more, but given that you'll often be up against 2 loose players in the blinds I don't think it's that important. You might be over-defending from the SB, but then again I underdefend, so I'm not really sure where the sweet spot is. You VPIP a lot from the SB, anyway, in a 1/2 structure. I'm hoping it's because the pots are often multiway and you're finding a reason to see flops against bad players.

You're going to showdown a whole lot. I'd guess that you might be making some loose calls. Something to look into, anyway. You're also pretty damn aggro given how many showdowns you see, and it apparently isn't helping you win many pots, because your won$wsf is what I'd see as an indication of running bad using my style in my game, though I'm a bit tighter than you (when I'm winning over a reasonable sample it's a point or 2 higher). You may be overplaying hands vs opponents who are looser and more passive than you're used to. You might do well to think more SSH than WITGH.

But as you say, all this is just guess work. I'd be surprised if you weren't running a bit bad, but I'm sure we all have lots of leaks, so might as well take this opportunity to rethink your overall strategy re. your current game a bit.

Best of luck and happy pokering.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:13 PM

Ok, I can do something with that. Tighten up UTG; I'm guilty of sometimes just opening hands I know are (borderline) folds, such as KJo, or A5s, or even A8, 76s... I sometimes do that, and it appears a bit too often. Anywaty, I always thought KJo was an opener. It is in full-ring middle position afaik. I'm the one reading the chart wrong [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] All blame is on me hehe.

The SB play is weird at $1/2: I get to see quite a lot of multi-way flops for half a SB only. In that case I tend to call with any two suited cards, and a lot of connectors and one-gappers. I'm not used to pots not being raised preflop...

Try to get more hands in from the Button, especially against bad blinds, check.

I'm sorry, SSH and WITGH? Small stakes hold'em and stox's book? Yeah, that makes sense, I do a lot of bluffing and semi-bluffing and usually get called down ace high after a turn c/r on a scary board... sigh. But whenever I srart to "just play made hands", I quickly turn into a calling station...

Ok, I thought I wasn't going to showdown often enough. Now I hear too much. Definitely something to consider. Maybe it's not so different from full-ring after all? I keep thinking "oh it's 6max, I can't fold"
Old 08-25-2007, 02:30 PM

It's actually not different from full ring at all if you just assume that everyone has folded to MP. Table textures vary, but that's also the case at full ring. And anyway, you're playing players, not tables, no? Assume that your opponents are a bit more spastic on average than a comparable full ring limit game, but that doesn't mean you should start to cook off indiscriminately and call down way light. Not saying you do, just stating the obvious.

I mentioned SSH because you should be playing basic, multiway poker. Funny how we have to go to 6max these days to find tables that resemble old school, mulitway full ring. But the gist is that you play your good hands fast, pump draws with odds, pick your semibluffing spots carefully, rarely bluff, and plan to show down the best hand to win. Stox's suggestions certainly apply to individual situations you find yourself in (like when you're up against other TAGs), which makes sense of course. As you would expect from someone of his calibre, he recognized that he was teaching strategic thinking, not providing a blueprint, and I'm sure he would agree that basic, value maximizing plays with made hands should be your bread and butter here.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:48 PM

Oink, his attempt to steal blinds you call lowish at 35%?
Do most of you steal much more than this? To me it looks fine. I'm at around 37%, not much more. How 'bout you guys?

Otherwise, I agree w/ the other points Oink has mentioned.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 PM

Not disastrously low and prolly fine for 1/2. At 5/10 and above its outright nitty and most likely suboptimal.