Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:28 AM

Default losing/winning sessions

I'm curious as to what percentage of sessions the full-timeish players here are winning... One thing I'm feeling this year is that I just have bad days way too often. With session defined as day (for me) I win between 60 and 65% of the time, and that seems really low for a 'winning player'.

how are you guys doing?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: losing/winning sessions

A good player who table selects well should have more losing sessions than winning sessions. The losing sessions will be shorter and relatively small while the winning sessions should be longer. This is because a good player will see that the game isn't good relatively quickly and leave. Similarly they will stick around longer against a weak lineup.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 AM

i'm defining session as "playing day".
Old 07-19-2007, 11:43 AM

Funny you brought this up, because I just looked at that.

I'm far from a full time player, my PTO database is like 40k hands and that's my play from most of this year. Anyway, my winning session percentage is 51.7%. That freaked the [censored] out of me when I saw that. I'm winning at 9BB/100 over the 40k hands in my database (about 80% 1/2, 15% 2/4 and 5% higher), but I win barely more than half my sessions.

I know your question was asking full time players, because as someone who plays not nearly enough I can actually come up with a few reasons for this.
1. I don't have a set schedule for when I play poker, so I might play for like 15 minutes before something important comes up and I have to stop.
2. I like to table select. If I play at a table that I think sucks, I get up and leave. Naturally, I think it sucks if I'm down.
3. My long sessions are probably much shorter than a full-time player and I don't usually try to get 'unstuck' if I'm down (although when this happens, you know it's going to be a long, painful night).

As a result, my winning sessions must be much bigger than my losing ones (I'm sure I can find this out somewhere), otherwise my winrate would be just above breakeven with a winning session percentage like this.

Do you think the reasons I gave would help account for such a ridiculously low percentage?

Edit: Just saw that you defined session as 'playing day'. Obviously the information I gave was relating to the PT defition of session.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:45 AM

I win about 5 days out of 7 on average, but mostly due to my inability to just take a losing day when I feel I am playing well.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm defining session as "playing day".

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything in my post still applies.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 AM

Since January 1st, I have won 58.87% of my pokertracker sessions. Every winning player I have any decent number of hands is somewhere in the 50-60% range.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to what percentage of sessions the full-timeish players here are winning... One thing I'm feeling this year is that I just have bad days way too often. With session defined as day (for me) I win between 60 and 65% of the time, and that seems really low for a 'winning player'.

how are you guys doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let this bother you, it's just PLO variance.

If you'd like, I could calculate your expected win% for a day's play if you tell me your win rate, standard deviation, and average # of hands per day. It might put your 60-65% result in a proper perspective.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 PM

I've won 50.66% of my PT sessions, and I'm running at 4.25bb/100 over 110k hands at 2-4 and above.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 PM

I'm at 54.57% winning sessions over 80k hands at stakes ranging from .01/.02 to $3/$6