Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: NL 10 - KK in SB.

[ QUOTE ]
There was a great thread about playing KK on A-high flops a few weeks ago. I don't really feel like looking for it now though.

Jeff, I agree with alot of what you are saying. But I think it would be better to check if we were IP. Being OOP makes me more inclined to want to take down the pot now. If we were IP I think a check is usually correct. Maybe it is correct here too but I'm not quite sure.

Raist, I'm not sure why you said we lose value by checking an A on an A-high flop? Obv. I wouldn't on a draw-heavy board, but sometimes I do to mix up my play. I usually do it against someone that doesn't float often but might be suspicious of my flop check and bet out turn or at least call a turn bet. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeff is right that NL10 players won't be able to exploit you too much, but I still like just taking down the pot here. It is unlikely he has an A and if we check to him that just gives him another way to win if he bluffs it. Unless we plan to c/c the flop and c/f the turn which I don't like.

As for losing value when we check when we have Ax, we most likely have the best hand and are losing value from people with weaker kickers by not betting.

I never check when I hit the A unless I am up against a maniac (and then only maybe). It is too vulnerable a hand to risk giving a free card. Therefore I have to bet with my other big pairs here as well. I'd rather bluff the A than give him the chance to.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never check when I hit the A unless I am up against a maniac (and then only maybe). It is too vulnerable a hand to risk giving a free card. Therefore I have to bet with my other big pairs here as well. I'd rather bluff the A than give him the chance to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep
Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you check with KK here then you also have to check here when you have an A and we would then lose value.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't agree that you have to check an A here if you check your KK. At best it's a tiny bit exploitable to not bet the KK and to bet the A- but I don't think many players at NL10 are going to be exploiting that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep agreeing with you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I routinely check TP of aces in a HU pot with deep stacks. I don't do this to be deceptive.

I usually bet KK in this spot, but I am wondering how grand an idea it is.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you check with KK here then you also have to check here when you have an A and we would then lose value.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't agree that you have to check an A here if you check your KK. At best it's a tiny bit exploitable to not bet the KK and to bet the A- but I don't think many players at NL10 are going to be exploiting that.

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
I keep agreeing with you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Me too typically [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Me too typically

[/ QUOTE ]Heh, well I'm just questioning conventional wisdom here- not taking a strong stand.

I used to bet A flops with KK- then at some point I stopped and I found I didn't get bet off nearly as many hands as I thought I would.

I also do check aces when I hit from time to time, though admittedly not on a board like this one.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Me too typically

[/ QUOTE ]Heh, well I'm just questioning conventional wisdom here- not taking a strong stand.

I used to bet A flops with KK- then at some point I stopped and I found I didn't get bet off nearly as many hands as I thought I would.

I also do check aces when I hit from time to time, though admittedly not on a board like this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be more apt to bet a smaller pair, like JJ-88, in this spot(OOP and was the PF raiser). I think this flop could be ok to check a pair of aces with as well though, it is dependent on players. If you put 4 players in I am more apt to bet the flop.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Me too typically

[/ QUOTE ]
I think for me, checking KK here is certainly more player dependant.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I occationally check AK here, mainly when the board is rainbow. Is that bad?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's bad at all. I would do it maybe 25% - 33% of the time on rainbow flops.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you can't explain why. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]