Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 06:21 PM

Default beginner question on table selection - opinions on stack sizes

I'd like some opinions on what people think about stack sizes when selecting tables.

I try to avoid tables with shortstacks. I'm also reluctant when I see multiple players with >300BB stacks. My logic here is simply - 'Oh they must be reasonably good since they worked their stack up well'. I'm certain this is flawed thinking, please help me get out of this train of thought.

Remember I'm coming at this from a uNL perspective with better than average skill but still need plenty of work on my game (esp. post flop).

I have often heard people say look for tables with many 40-70BB stacks, as they are likely to be weak. Obviously a generalisation and difficult to quantify without observing a few orbits but in general I find this correct. I feel the flip side is that I'm limiting the amount I can get from someone with a mid-sized stack.

Do you tend to ignore stack sizes and instead concentrate on the table dynamics? I suppose I'm asking how much of a consideration do you give to stacks when table selecting, compared with other factors such as pot size, people seeing flop etc.

If anyone has seen a good article/thread on this subject, or table selection in general, please can you paste it here.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: beginner question on table selection - opinions on stack sizes

To shorten this question:-

Discounting shortstacks, do you factor player stack sizes when table selecting? i.e. Does it concern you if there are several stacks of say > 300BB?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:39 AM

I don't concern myself too much with table selection(I play NL50). I usually just open the first 4-6 tables I find with an open seat.

IF there are several available tables to choose from, I prefer the ones with the biggest players per flop %. Stack sizes don't really matter too much, unless there are several <20xbb stacks. I prefer my opponents having >50xbb. Big stacks do not worry me, then at least there are players I can double up against with my full stack. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 AM

Stack sizes are my main concern when I pick a table, mainly because on Party Poker, the site I play, I dont see any way to check out the tables' players per flop etc. (Anybody confirm this?)

I avoid tables where over half the players have <50% full stacks, which seems to me really common at the limits I play. As for people with big stacks i'm not too bothered, the are loads of reasons why they could have big stacks which dont have anything to do with good play.