Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Indian food thread

GA:

Never been, but heard good things, mostly from dirty hippies.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:58 PM

FWIW - I didn't know you are Indian (or if you are). Whatever. Anyway, had I known I wouldn't have asked if you liked that place because I figure you'd be like "wtf! I make better grub than that myself!"

I only asked cuz I think you live hear 2nd and Folsom. I could be very wrong though.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So Haveli is the restaurant on Curry Row that you guys would recommend? Any others in the neighborhood that stand out more than the rest? I've been looking for a good place in the East Village area where I can get my Indian Food fix. I've been loath to try any random one, as I wouldn't want to stumble across the bad one of the bunch that are on the Row.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a little more expensive than the others in that area, but it is well worth it IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Also, Haveli has nicer interior than the other Curry Row / 6th Street places (IIRC), so along with superior food, well worth a slight price premium.

Dom - maybe some other LA people can chime in, but I live like 3 blocks from Electric Lotus, always been disappointed. Maybe it's gone donwhill since you left LA, or just not to my taste. It is though, definitely a cool spot for drinks with nice aesthetic.

Good new place I found (K-Town) is Halal Tandoori - great "benchmark" dishes to borrow from another thread (Tikka Masala etc.) but kind of ghetto inside.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always liked Bombay Palace on Wilshire a bit west of La Cienega. Their vegetarian platter is really tasty and a little bit of everything. That and the "benchmark" dish(cross-referencing threads) of chicken tikka marsala go together really well.

DN
Old 02-01-2007, 07:54 PM

KV,

Just like lots of American food, lots of Indian food that you eat at restaurants is stuff that you'd pretty much never make/eat at home. As for Mehfil, yeah, I live near there and think it's pretty delicious. I like Chaat at 3rd/Folsom too, but that place is so f'ing slow it's crazy. Their butter chicken (special on certain days) is incredible and their naan is better than Mehfil's. Shan on 3rd near Bryant used to be really good and probably the most "authentic" Indian food around, but they changed ownership and I haven't tried the new place yet.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 PM

DN,

"chicken tikka marsala"

When Cuisines Clash!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Ethnic food thread

Minor point but Chicken Vindaloo is nothing to do with indian home cooking. Its an English invention along with most well known Indian dishes.

'Indian' Vindaloo is made with pork and vinegar and is from Goa.

Factoid: Vasco-da-Gama (Portugese) introduced the chilli to India.

chez
Old 02-01-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Ethnic food thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I've actually never had Indian Food and will be looking to this thread to eliminate my fear of the nasty smell my brain has yet to overcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

You live in the South Bay, no? If so, PM me if you want some recommendations for Indian restaurants - it's great stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]

A:

Please post here, I moved to campbell about 6 months ago. Royal Taj on Camden just off of 17 is my normal spot (about 2 minutes from my house).

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of my local favorites have closed, but a couple in the area that are OK (none are great, though) are:

Mayuri (Santa Clara)
Amber India (Mountain View)
Kebab and Curry (Santa Clara)
Tumeric (Sunnyvale) more upscale than most
Spice Hut (Sunnyvale) fast food, not great but decent for fast takeout

Though these have gotten some good recommondations, I'd avoid Shalimar (Sunnyvale) and Passage to India (Mountain View), as well as a ton of others that we've tried once over the years and never gone back.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dean,

NYC and SF are two places in the US where, while not to London levels, there are tons of Indian places of all ranges from takeout curry shops to nice sitdown places.

[/ QUOTE ]

London has two Indian restaurants that I hit on every trip:

Chowki for interesting regional Indian, and their sister restaurant Mela for excellent, new Indian food.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:53 PM

I love Indian food, but lately I have been ending up with a lot of stuff that is realy greasy, seems to have clarified butter coming out the wazoo, makes me feel sick, etc... etc... My questions are

a) Are there are any clues that you can use about an Indian restaraunts menu to determine the level of healthiness involved in the food?

b) Does anyone have any specific NYC Indian restaraunt suggestions that are not only super tasty but also don't have the nasty greasiness to it. Pongal is my favorite place in the city, but it is in a part of the city that I never go to now.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If any of you are ever in Baltimore and are craving some Indian food, I highly recommend Akbar on N. Charles St. Looks like a hole in the wall from outside, but OMFG, so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this. I wish I could go to this place more often, but I don't live near the city anymore. I often went for their lunch buffet (which is like $9 total) and have never been disappointed.