Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Beginner - Some Questions

Hi there,

sorry for my bad English, I'm from Germany.

Today I took a 5 hour golf lesson which allows me to play on 6-hole course. Now I need my own golf clubs. Is a $300-400 beginner set ok? Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.de/Hudora-Golf-Set-Herre...VQQcmdZViewItem

I read about different tees (different colours). Are all tees the same or do I need special tees for beginners? Whats the difference?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2007, 12:16 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues
Default Re: Beginner - Some Questions

hi, i've been golfing for a couple of years, but i am still very much a beginner. i chose to go the 'nice clubs' route, and bought a set in the $200-300 range. so here's my take.

i wish i didn't buy that set. it has nothing to do that they are not the greatest clubs, but more to do that as a beginner i don't know what i need. my swing hadn't become consistent, i didn't know what length clubs i should get, i didn't know the right grip or stance.

basically, i wish i didn't get a new set of clubs that probably wasn't going to work for me. i wish i had gotten a second-hand set that i'd run into the ground for a couple of years and get something fitted for me.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

by the way, my set of clubs is very similar to the one you linked. i also bought them on ebay.

i try to use regular tees, and i try to set them up at the same height every time
Old 07-21-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi there
I read about different tees (different colours). Are all tees the same or do I need special tees for beginners? Whats the difference?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

In the context of golf the word tees has a duel meaning as booth the small wooden or plastic pegs that the ball is placed on for the opening shot of every hole, And the area of ground from which the opening shot is played to give it its full name the tee box. The tee pegs are the same whatever your skill level. You choose which tee box you want to play from, a general rule for choosing is to start with the farthest forward men’s tees and move back as your handicap comes down.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the area of ground from which the opening shot is played to give it its full name the tee box.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tee box is a box that sits on the teeing ground. It is filled with sand to be spread over divots you may make. Tee is short for teeing ground and as you point out, also refers to the stand/peg that supports the ball for a tee shot.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the area of ground from which the opening shot is played to give it its full name the tee box.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tee box is a box that sits on the teeing ground. It is filled with sand to be spread over divots you may make. Tee is short for teeing ground and as you point out, also refers to the stand/peg that supports the ball for a tee shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously saying you've never heard the area of gress where the tee markers are located called a tee box? This is very common.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The teebox is the entire teeing area, not the divot repair sand bucket (which I've never heard referred to as a teebox). http://en.mimi.hu/golf/tee_box.html

And guys, try to keep your language simple for him because he doesn't speak English well. I'm having trouble deciphering the construction and figurative language you're using.

KrachBummEnte:

There are different color tees for people of different skill levels. Women usually play from the front tees (usually red colored) and the men usually play from a number of tees farther away depending on how good they play.

If you are a beginner I suggest you start from the red tees. Do not be ashamed that you are playing from the "women's tees," because playing from shorter distances will make the game easier and more fun at first. You will also play faster and not make the other golfers wait for you as much. When you are more experienced you can move back to the other teeboxes.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:59 PM

I like to drink green tea.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:07 PM

Thank you for helping.
By different colour tees I actually meant those where you put your ball on. But I guess it doesn't matter which colour you use.

On the course I'm playing atm there is only one tee per hole, both for men and women.

I asked some HC5 guy about some clubs and he told me they were sufficient for a beginner. I paid ~$250 for a 1Wood, 2 Hybrids, 5-SW and a Putter.

oh and language is okay, i get it all
Old 07-21-2007, 09:13 PM

Glad you got the responses. It just seemed to me that a couple of the responses, in an attempt to be clear, ended up being harder to understand.

Didn't know you were talking about the physical tees. Yeah, the paint's just for the hell of it. The only thing that varies is length. When you tee a ball up, it is suggested to tee it so that half the ball is above the top of your driver when you lie the driver behind the ball. If your drive has a big head you may need extra long tees, but other than that, it's whatever makes you feel comfortable.