Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: lil wayne

[ QUOTE ]
nas and kool g? cmon now youre just name dropping. you meant rakim admit it, or atleast BDK

[/ QUOTE ]
Nas is commonly siad to be influenced by three or four dudes, Rakim, Kane, and Kool G. Honestly of those I've only taken the time to listen to Kool G so I only put him in there. I'm not going to say he was influenced by someone when I haven't myself taken the time to listen to so I only put in Kool G.

From what I've heard Kool G was one of the first dudes that were doing complex multisyllable rhymes and internal rhyming. Both of those were things that made Illmatic great, maybe I'm overestimating the lyrical side because that's what I really enjoy about rap as opposed to flow or something else. And a lot of the mafiaso rap that Nas did after Illmatic (on it was written or the Firm ablum for instance) was heavily influenced by Kool G. Of course he might have also been influence by the other guys too, and I'm sure he was, but again I haven't gotten around to those guys yet.

When I listened to Kool G (after listening to a lot of Nas) I definetly seen a lot of similarities between the two.
[ QUOTE ]
and em would have made it without nas or az.. em blew up cus of his battle tip if anything you can attest that to being influenced by chino xl

[/ QUOTE ]
When Eminem first came up (his first album was called infinite or something like that I think) a lot of people were saying he was biting Nas and AZ style verbatim. Obviously he was using different subject matter but the rhyme structure was similar.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nas and kool g? cmon now youre just name dropping. you meant rakim admit it, or atleast BDK

[/ QUOTE ]
Nas is commonly siad to be influenced by three or four dudes, Rakim, Kane, and Kool G.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say it would be something like 85% rakim , 10% kool g , 5% Kane....this is for illmatic atleast ...illmatic was kind of like rakim with primo's beats ...
Old 10-05-2007, 03:38 PM

lil' wayne puts out so much sick [censored]. his mixtapes are better than most good artists feature CD's. right now i'd probably rather listen to 5 of weezy's mixtapes instead of the new 50 Cent or Kanye. his flow is unlike any other rapper and his metaphors/punchlines are ridiculous. i find myself laughing at his lyrics (in a good way) all the time, simply put he just entertains me.

"and when i was 5, my favorite movie was the Gremlins, aint got [censored] to do with this but i just thought that i should mention"
Old 10-05-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have been trying to avoid thsi thread all day and finally caved.

Lil Wayne is [censored] horrible and if you like him you are making hip-hop suck and I am going to take that personally and say unkind things about you in the mod forum or something.

CDC,

Want to cry?

Jay-Z was supposed to be on that song, but didn't make it to the studio or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lil' Wayne is not about lyricism. I listen to Weezy because of his ridiculous flow (only Jay-Z has better IMO) and the way he just plays with sounds and words. He decomposes simple words into syllables, plays around and strings them together like different colored necklaces. It just sounds good. Trying to explore deeper into his music is a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh god. half the time i listen to wayne he goes completely off beat pronouncing words as a 3rd grader would. usually when people slow down their flow and emphasize every syllable they do so to say something clever or meaningful, which i would say for the most part he doesn't at all and sounds ridiculously bad.

fwiw, i still like wayne, i just think he is overrated as hell.

here is a hot song. ludacris, busta rhymes and big boi absolutely kill this song, while wheezy sounds very mediocre here.

i'm so hood remix
Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nas is commonly siad to be influenced by three or four dudes, Rakim, Kane, and Kool G.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say it would be something like 85% rakim , 10% kool g , 5% Kane....this is for illmatic atleast ...illmatic was kind of like rakim with primo's beats ...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take your word for it. I really need to look into getting some Rakim and BDK.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM

LWayne was better when he was with Cash Money.

Rakim for the other ? and it's not close.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he shouldn't be considered top 10 MC's out right now skills wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is a stretch. who do you have in mind?

[/ QUOTE ]
Off the top of my head and in no particular order Nas, Jay, Bun B, Andre 3000, Immortal Tech, Common, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco, Jadakiss, Chamillionaire, Ya Boy, Joe Budden, Saigon, Pharoah Monch, Devin the Dude, Ghostface, Rhymefest, Z-ro, and Royce da 5'9 are all ahead of him IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice list minus Lupe. Joe Budden is so sick and not many people know it. Check out this Joe Budden Freestyle if you haven't heard dude other than the radio [censored].

I would also add Joell Ortiz and Juice (not the best example from Juice, but there isn't any of his other actual songs on YouTube, just battles)

For those who don't know here is....

Ya Boy - 100 more bars
Saigon - Pain In My Life (tight as [censored])
Z-Ro - F All Ya'll
Old 10-05-2007, 06:05 PM

Who has been around 8+ years and still has fire in his voice?

I really don't think anyone is saying lil' wayne is a legend, just that he's got hot, hot [censored] and does have some skills.

Btw, that spoof was hilarious.

Yugoslav
Old 10-05-2007, 06:18 PM

I could never stand Lil Wayne, namely because his lyrics were so shallow. However I'm willing to concede that he may be very talented based on his wordplay. Anybody be so kind as to offer up a list of his best tracks?

edit:

Wayne was murdered on that last linked song by, well, everybody else on it, IMO; and I didn't like that song at all (though Luda's bit at the beggining was good)
Old 10-05-2007, 06:25 PM

Oh, one other thing. His rapping isn't at all like Jay-Z or any of the ppl who he jacked his swagger from anyway, it's this weird amalgamation of a bunch of stuff and that's what makes him talented. Maybe it's simply b/c he's on tons of weird drugs and can't talk properly now...but I dno, Notorious BIG and Big Pun sounded really fat and packed full of cholesterol and I always felt if they got skinny they'd sound dumb...

So maybe lil' wayne just needs to take even more drugs!

Yugoslav