Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 04:07 PM

Default NL 50: got a marginal overpair in a 3bet multiway pot..a doozy

Sb is 24/16/3 who I have never seen before but is at two of my tables and winning at both. Button has reasonable numbers something like 19/8/2 over a small (25 hand) sample.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $211.45
Hero (BB): $76.30
UTG: $47.50
CO: $50.20
BTN: $50.15

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, CO calls $0.50, <font color="red">BTN raises to $2.50</font>, SB calls $2.25, <font color="red">Hero raises to $11.00</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $8.50, SB calls $8.50

Flop: ($33.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero's plan?

This wasn't the only decision of the hand. After I get some responses I'll continue posting the rest of it...
Old 09-16-2007, 04:32 PM
 is offline

Default Re: NL 50: got a marginal overpair in a 3bet multiway pot..a doozy

I would make 3bet smaller, like 9$. check fold. I Don`t really understand what Sb is doing in the hand, but either Button or SB has you beat. Save yourselve some $$.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:53 PM

The only hand button has that crushes you is QQ. SB was being offered reasonable odds to suck out in a big pot with players that probably go broke with an overpair [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] , so he's the one I really worry about on this flop and he's checked...

I'm checking and seeing what SB does if button bets. Hopefully button checks behind, and turn is a complete blank. If so, I'll think about getting frisky if checked to again.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would make 3bet smaller, like 9$. check fold. I Don`t really understand what Sb is doing in the hand, but either Button or SB has you beat. Save yourselve some $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat with what? This is button, blind, blind battle. Wouldn't a competent player 4bet qq+...especially given the big pot size raise I put in that looks like a shady squeeze?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:08 PM
 is offline

would a competent player call 8.5$ more to hit his set ? He is either dumb or slowplaying a big hand here. If I was button and faced with such a big 3bet preflop I smoothcall AA in position, I would`t be worried that SB comes along, since I expect him to fold.

I don`t like betting here, cause that flop could have hit SB`s range very hard, and button could be Slowplaying AA here.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM

AK, AQ TT, QQ is way more likely for Button than slowplaying KK+ IMO\

SB is wide open though. Good SCs, S1Gs, 66+... hit that board pretty hard.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would a competent player call 8.5$ more to hit his set ? He is either dumb or slowplaying a big hand here. If I was button and faced with such a big 3bet preflop I smoothcall AA in position, I would`t be worried that SB comes along, since I expect him to fold.

I don`t like betting here, cause that flop could have hit SB`s range very hard, and button could be Slowplaying AA here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think after the flop I am a bit more worried about the SB waiting to check-raise with a set or two pair or to push a big draw or something.

I like your point the about the button smooth-calling a big PP, and although it makes the most sense with SB left to act, it's not a play I see an enormous amount...isn't the unknown Sunday afternoon NL50 player re-raising or pushing QQ+ more often than smooth-calling?

I was thinking at that point he called with AQs+ Ako or any pocket pair. It wouldn't be the first time someone shunned the 5/10 rule especially with SBs dead money in.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:40 AM

c/f ):
Old 09-17-2007, 07:14 AM

SB has played this very weird for someone with pretty good stats. How many hands are those stats over?

Most of the time I'm bettin here. But if those stats on sb are reliable + the fact that we're 150 BB's deep a check is probably good, but then you really gotta pray for like the 2c or something on the turn.

And, pokerdemic, the 5/10 rule isn't the best. You really need to make more like 11.7 times your investment on average in order to set mine.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:18 AM

bet fold flop