Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: little cousin getting pushed around

[ QUOTE ]
round up all the kindergarteners that are picking on him and go to town on them gonores style.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. How many 6-year olds...
Old 08-22-2007, 01:33 AM

The more serious question here is when has your aunt last gotten [censored]?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 AM

the kid should be left to resolve the issue on his own; consider it part of his social development, which imo, is as important as academic development (at that age).
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 AM

OP

Well someone needs to teach him what to do when he gets smacked, and that involves busting the kid right in the [censored] mouth. It might as well be you.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the kid should be left to resolve the issue on his own; consider it part of his social development, which imo, is as important as academic development (at that age).

[/ QUOTE ]

this was closest to the answer I gave. My thoughts were he's freaking 5 and is also at an all boys school. This pecking order pushing and shoving stuff is going to continue into his teens. It's not like he's in any actual danger. If he figures out not to mouth off to kids who can beat him up, so be it. If he decides it's better to throw a toddler haymaker or two and possibly get one thrown back at him, I'm also ok w/ that. My only reservation is that my cousin seems like he's going to naturally (from a physical and a dispositional standpoint) fall on the lower end of this pecking order, and I don't want that for him. So I also told my aunt that it'll probably just take him a couple of weeks to get used to rough housey play that IMO should be a staple of a young boys development.

I was just asking if anyone else had other responses b/c this is one of the first times an older family member has come to me asking for advice about anything that wasn't directly related to my immaturity, so I wanted some sort of reassurance I didn't [censored] it up.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Can't wait for snowball to weigh in on this thread.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:44 PM

you should beat his ass, so he knows how to take a beating without crying. then he'll learn to fight back.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 PM

OP..... How many 5 year olds...? If your response is greater than the number of kids that are picking on him, the solution here is pretty obvious.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM

BE A MAN!!!

he could really get the other kids in trouble. Bullying is such a serious thing now in elementary school. They take it so seriously.

When I was in elementary school we would get in fights once a week and the principal would just make us shake hands and send us back to class. It was pretty sweet.

They did ban playing tackle football after we had a 12 man all out brawl during recess. This isnt that long ago either(late/mid eighties)

maybe it was just growing up in Eastern Kentucky.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:56 PM

Learning self-defense is far from an overreaction. Being bullied can be crippling emotionally and often leaves lifelong scars, and can change personalities and ostracize kids from their peers. It's no small thing, and should be addressed like any other completely predictable problem involved in growing up. Some amount is inevitable going through school, because there will always be kids way bigger than you that you have no chance against, but you're likely to do poorly socially among your peers if you can't at least keep up with kids your own size and age.

Also, don't think of self-defense reflexively in such a negative fashion. It does wonderful things for kids that provide very long-term benefits, many quite applicable to school and work. Among them are: concentration(huge life benefit), discipline, work ethic, mental toughness, confidence, courage.

Some physical benefits are obvious but nevertheless important in life and shouldn't be minimized, like the ability to defend yourself. But martial arts also conditioning and things that a kid can find very helpful in sports, like a tremendous kinesthetic sense(awareness of where your body is in space), balance, flexibility, coordination, quickness, and application of power and strength. These are things a kid is going to get a ton of use from if he comes anywhere near sports.

Finally, especially if a kid takes judo or jiu-jitsu, he's going to learn a skill that should be mandatory and will pay off his entire life: he'll learn how to fall. Kids fall constantly. So do adults. When older adults fall, they break hips and bones and then wind up in the hospital, where their weak immune systems makes perishing from pneumonia actually a very common cause of death. Judo or jiu-jitsu will teach a kid the lifelong and perhaps life-saving skill of how to fall in different ways and from different positions and be unhurt. That skill is an absolute winner.

Self-defense courses are great no matter how much of a pacifist you are or how much rosier you think the world is or should be than it really is. It can give a kid a sense of individual, measurable accomplishment that cannot be taken away from him, and is available to any kid of any skill with hard work and discipline -- which itself are huge boons to a person's life developed in tandem with physical skills in martial arts. Considering all the benefits from learning self-defense, it makes much more sense for a kid to find a style he likes and learn it. It makes for a happier, healthier, more confident and accomplished kid.