Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Can Christians Accept A Ressurection Within The Laws of Physics?

Before elaborating on the question, I want to take the opportunity to make sure that everyone understands that I have never said that I am almost certain there is no God.

What I have said is that I am almost certain that supernatural events that can not conceivably have a scientific explanation have never occurred. (with the two possible exceptions of the Big Bang and human consciousness.)

Of course the end result of this certainty is that I don't believe that the God portrayed in the bible exists, since he is said to perform miracles that totally disobey scientific laws. And those who think that my studying the bible might change my mind are being almost as silly as those who think my studying the details of a craps system might make me think it works. Even if I couldn't find the flaw in the system, the underlying principles guarantees there is a flaw (granted the bible scnario is not as mathematically certain.)

Now if the bible did not proclaim that God sometimes did things well beyond what science could explain, like the Noah story, the Earth standing still, etc I wouldn't be here debating the subject. Arguing against that God would be something I would leave to chezlaw, Phil153, luckyme or MidGe. But it does proclaim those things.

And the things are so hard to believe that some religious people try to make things easier to swallow by suggesting that God finds a way to perform miracles in such a way that he somehow harnesses scientific laws to do them. The Red Sea being an obvious example. They also are willing to admit that most claimed miracles are frauds (grilled cheese) or perhaps only misunderstandings or hallucinations (stopped sun).

What I would like to know is whether these Christians who would lump these miracles into some type of natural event "guided by God" (whatever that means) are willing to put the Resurrection itself in that category. Jesus didn't really die. He was ressucitated, He had a twin. Or anything else that didn't flat out disobey laws of science. Or do they have to keep that one "miracle" in a seperate category in their minds, even if all others are scientifically explainable?