Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Turn spot

Are we not pricing in too many hands by betting half-pot in GAL's hand? In particular because the high wrap is still out there. In my hand the high wrap just made it, so he can't call a half-pot with the low wrap, but this isn't the case in the other hand.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:42 AM

1/2 pot is a horribly useless bet with these stack sizes on this board. It accomplishes nothing. If they are bad enough to call a 1/2 PSB with a draw after the worst possible card for them hit, they are likely bad enough to call a full PSB. If the villian is bad enough to take this line with a lower set he is probably calling regardless of how much you bet.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:54 AM

half pot (or any under-PSB) in this spot is useful because it means he might call with a lower set, which he'd be more likely to toss to a PSB if he wasn't willing to push the flop, i.e. his flop reasoning with 77 is "either he has 88 or a big draw", and now he can't beat either hand, and if you fire for full he might let it go which is really bad.

The other useful thing about a half-pot bet is that often villian will smooth-call the nuts being tricky, and you now get a relatively cheap look at 4th street. This is also true (even more true) in spots where it's the flush draw that got in, and villian reads your hp bet as a smaller flush and doesn't pop you.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:07 AM

I think your definition of 'often' is way different than mine. I haven't played anyone in the last 6 months that would call a 1/2 psb with a set that wouldn't call the rest of their stack, nor have I run into anyone that would slowplay the nuts with 2/3 of their stack already in the pot. The stacks are just too awkward for this kind of fps play IMO.

The flush thing works in spots where it's difficult for the villian to have the nf, especially when it is likely he has some sort of combo draw but never raised at any point on the flop.