Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Pacific 2/4 Good or Bad River Call?

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this hand, in particular the river action. The game in question is a 10 handed $2/4 game at Pacific Poker.

I am dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button.

UTG +1 limps. It is folded around to me and I raise. BB calls as does UTG +1. Both players are fairly loose and seeing more than 50% of the flops.

Flops comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and it is checked to me. I bet and both players call.

Turn comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and it is again checked to me. I am not crazy about the third diamond, but I bet again figuring I have redraws to a full house if someone has made the flush or the miracle inside straight. Both players call.

The river brings the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for four diamonds and BB leads out and UTG +1 calls. I have a set and the 4th best flush but with a bet and a call I am hating life. I am strongly leaning towards folding as I figure my hand can't be best, but the pot is 9.5 big bets so at the last second I decide to call. Thoughts?

Personally I think folding is the right play in this situation vs two opponents, but I wonder if I am being too conservative? Even with the pot laying 9-1 I can't help but imagine that atleast one of my opponents won't have a higher diamond given the action.

For what it's worth the BB turned over 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and UTG +1 showed 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I somehow managed to win the pot.

Lee
Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Pacific 2/4 Good or Bad River Call?

[ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth the BB turned over 2 3 and UTG +1 showed 6 6 and I somehow managed to win the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

By posting the results, you bias the responses, and deprive me of my ability to look cool and advise that you should call on account of the fact you will see a combination of baby flushes and bluffs more often than once in 9.5. By the sound of the post, it seems you are not appreciating the fact that you do not have to be right very often to be make this call, given the odds the pot is laying you. You played it correctly.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:49 PM

i really cant see how you could fold there..maybe i am wrong..but even if the guy did hit his flush i think there is value in your play..and i just hate letting people at a table believe that if you are gonna raise preflop and lead out a hand that u are vulenerable to a fold everytime a scare card pops out..
Old 05-31-2006, 12:25 AM

I guess my concern was with the fact that there was a bet and a call ahead of me when the fourth diamond hit on the river. Against one opponent I would call every time without hesitation. With two opponents, I would assume that the first player would be less likely to bluff with two players yet to act behind him. Assuming he did bluff, the second player called which you would think would imply that he could beat something.

Thanks for the thoughts. Like I said in the first post, I think sometimes I might be giving my opponents too much credit, especially when there is multiway action.

Lee
Old 05-31-2006, 01:38 AM

DO NOT POST RESULTS ON HANDS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 50/50 on the call... would really be read dependent to me...
Old 05-31-2006, 06:13 AM

In this case an easy call. You are up against two morons. Moron #1 bets out on fifth street - he has either made some kind of flush or taking a shot at the pot. Moron #2 just calls - at most signalling a weak flush. You have pot odds to make the call - you will win often enough.

Also take very good note of the hands your opponents had and remember how they played in the pot - noting betting patterns are just as important as their vp$ip.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In this case an easy call. You are up against two morons. Moron #1 bets out on fifth street - he has either made some kind of flush or taking a shot at the pot. Moron #2 just calls - at most signalling a weak flush. You have pot odds to make the call - you will win often enough.

Also take very good note of the hands your opponents had and remember how they played in the pot - noting betting patterns are just as important as their vp$ip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solid advice. Good post!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:04 AM

good call. and that is why you make this call: even though you think you are beat this goofy crap happens once in 9.whatever times to make the call profitable. isn't limit hold em easy?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:25 PM

Good call. I call this for the way the hand turned out. You won, yet you have no idea why (this isn't bad, it just means that people did crazy stuff in the hand). Your hand is also strong enough on its own to overcall in this situation.

Nice hand.