predicturing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wrong, this is correct.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Re: NFL Week 10 Sunday Night Football: Colts@ Chargers

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no no no.

I'm just pointing out the fact that Manning isn't as great as everyone makes him out to be.

You take away a couple weapons and he's very mediocre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, most QBs would do well when you take away their #1(a) receiver, starting TE, and left tackle. I really don't understand how you haven't been banned yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was also raining like [censored], the Colts were playing from behind so SD was playing pass all the way, and the Colts had no run game.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:02 AM

I'm not going to be the guy that overreacts to one atrocious game and says cut the kicker now. But Jesus [censored] Christ. When you have a noodle for a leg and haven't had a touchback or a 50+ yard FG since the Clinton administration, you had better be really [censored] accurate with the short ones or else you don't deserve to have a job. I'm not sure Vinatieri is accurate enough on the short ones to justify his having a job, and I'm damn sure he's not worth the money we're paying him. We're stuck with Vinatieri for 2007 and hopefully we can find a bargain basement kicker after that. Whatever though, Bill Polian has made enough brilliant moves over the years that it's not fair for me to bitch about the awful Vinatieri signing.

Anyway, really nice game by the Chargers defense to get consistent pressure with a four-man rush and bottle up the run. The six picks were mostly the Colts running bad but when you get that kind of pressure it at least makes it possible for Manning to have a game like that. That team has a 0% chance at winning the Super Bowl unless they find an offense, but with a defense that can make plays they have a chance to steal a game or two. GG.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Every team in the NFC East has these freaks with huge guns killing people, Bolts put on light blue unis and jump around like well gay men at a rave.

[ QUOTE ]
Hell there is a fair chance the Colts take the penalty there to save the timeout in case of a miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. It's almost certainly +EV to have the extra TO vs. the additional 5 yards on the FG try in that spot.

Of course, the higher +EV play would have been to forget about trying to draw them offsides and just go for the FG (when is the last time anyone remembers ANY defense jumping offsides in that situation?).

Oh, and that "simulating the snap" penalty was actually a good call, and is exactly why that rule is in the book.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Chargers suck, and they got saved by a complete judgment call penalty that moved the kick back 5 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they don't get that penalty what happens there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, let's just say for the sake of argument, the Colts call the timeout that they were going to if SD didn't jump.

Let's give Vinatieri the EXACT same kick, only from 24 instead of 29. FG good, Colts up and Rivers is forced to throw the ball. LOL, the Chargers got shut out for basically the ENTIRE GAME on offense. I kinda like our chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may kinda like your chances but your hailed QB just had the worst game of his life, and you want to blame it on 1 disputable call?

snap out of it

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right, if not for that call, the COlts probably win. That's not to say Peyton didn't have a bad game, or a bunch of penelties/non-penelties got called the game wasn't different, but that last kick was a very measurable "change one thing and its a totally different game" thing.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was a 2 point game. So there are probably 30 or 40 plays that fit this criteria. Dozens at the bare minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right which is exactly what I said. Any of those fit that situation, just as that call specifically does as well.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. But it doesnt serve Edge's agenda to focus on the other 30 that WERENT the result of a questionable call. Thats all I'm saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I agree, but each one on it's own, the two that pop to mind now are the "inadvertent whistle and the "false start", could've drastically changed that game.

One things for sure, the NFL officiating office probably wishes this thing never happened.

Cody

Anyways the Michael Lewis article was about NFL kickers, specifically Vinateri and while he has his clutch reputation now, it will just take one or two bad kicks for him to be out of the NFL. FWIW he has missed three FGs in the past two weeks. Just saying.

dude im flaming you for saying dumb things.....if the colts lose and you didnt say anything dumb i would be like "oh progress" but nope you come on and make some typically insane argument so i JUST HAVE TO MOCK YOU cant you see? i cant help it, and you are the only one who can make it stop...PLEASE EDGE HELP ME.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cody is just as wrong as you are, if that makes you feel better.

that call maybe decreased the Colts win % by < 1 %.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are obv forgetting the fact that the Colts can copy and paste the 29 yd attempt into the 24 yd attempt and he would have made it.

[/ QUOTE ]

True or false, all other things equal, a 24-yarder is some % more likely to be made than a 29-yarder?

As a kicker, I know the answer to this, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now demonstrate that that % is anything more than trivial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edge, do you get the importance of this point? If the % went from like 95 to 93, how many points is that worth? Far less than 2. So its completely irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

Using expected points there is completely useless.

If it dropped from 95% to 93% then it would be worth probably 1.9% of a win which is what matters.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I'll make everybody here a deal.

If Sublime can go ONE Colts thread without flaming me (which he's done repeatedly in this thread), I'll (just to see what happens) tone down the fact that I'm a Colts fan. I'm passionate, but I ALWAYS bring logic to the discussion.

The obvious split here between how Pats fans are treated when THEY get bad calls and me when I talk about bad calls is disgusting.

Also, we're all in agreement PLO8 should be permabanned, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, i will NEVER EVER harass you again UNTIL you say something that is just blatantly stupid about anything colts related. thats all you have to do and i wont think and/or post about you being insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its easy to call it blatantly stupid when you completely ignore any and all reasoning I bring to the table. Then all that means is you disagree with me.

I said that false start probably cost us the game. That statement has been agreed with.

That pass interference no-call, aside from being nowhere NEAR the only questionable call in the game, was , to be fair, very close.

A solid 24-yarder in those conditions is MUCH easier than a 29-yarder. OF COURSE, neither should be that difficult, but the number of variables in a FG is so big that every little bit DOES count. Maybe the spot was bad for his plant foot? Could it have been worse at the 24-yarder? Maybe. But at a shorter distance there is less he has to worry about.

I'm not excusing Peyton's 5 INT's (the 6th was a joke that happens at the end of games like that). I'm not saying there weren't things the Colts should've done better on Special Teams. But when you get down to who played better down the stretch, it was obviously the Colts, and that last call - timing, field position, rhythm, everything - was HUGE.