Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: A More Realistic Fred And Ginger Problem

[ QUOTE ]

Ginger's going to advance the field , fred isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

gingers don't exist without freds. gingers have a hard time being organized and dealing with others in the field and when they get stuck they need a fred to help them along. again to my einstein reference, einstein would have spent his life at the patent office and may have fail out of the ETH if not for marcel grossmann
Old 11-11-2007, 01:23 AM

As described, neither Fred nor Ginger exist outside of Sklansky's imagination.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fred is quick to grasp all mathematical concepts. Give him a bunch of well written math books in the proper order and he can zip through them with full understanding.

Ginger can't do this nearly as well. She struggles with certain types of concepts and occasionally needs some tutoring. But unlike Fred, she sometimes does more than merely understand. She anticipates what will be said. She often can derive the proof of a concept first mentioned before she actually reads that proof. She realized completing the square yields the quadratic equation. That repeating fractions proves that the harmonic series diverges. She figured out Euclids's proof for primes before reading about it. And that if a calling frequency does equally well if he always bluffs or never bluffs it will do the same no matter how often he bluffs. As she gets into higher math she continues to anticipate and come up with proofs before she reads them.

But unlike Fred she hits roadblocks. Explanations do not always come easy to her. And she would take three times as long to learn the stuff that Fred learned. And would not score as well on many tests.

Does her extra creativity mean that she is smarter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fred's a computer and Ginger is a human being. Until Fred can do what Ginger does, it's Ginger.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:28 AM

I don't believe anyone like Ginger exists. I have never met such a person or seen an exposition of someone's life who resembled Ginger. Every great creative mind I have come across or seen documented has been Fred+, not Ginger.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe anyone like Ginger exists. I have never met such a person or seen an exposition of someone's life who resembled Ginger. Every great creative mind I have come across or seen documented has been Fred+, not Ginger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I seem to recall reading about a top topologist having trouble doing simple arithmetic. Cannot recall the name now.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fred is quick to grasp all mathematical concepts. Give him a bunch of well written math books in the proper order and he can zip through them with full understanding.

Wow I hadn't seen the computer/human thing before BPA. The funny thing is computers can't make leaps.
Ginger can't do this nearly as well. She struggles with certain types of concepts and occasionally needs some tutoring. But unlike Fred, she sometimes does more than merely understand. She anticipates what will be said. She often can derive the proof of a concept first mentioned before she actually reads that proof. She realized completing the square yields the quadratic equation. That repeating fractions proves that the harmonic series diverges. She figured out Euclids's proof for primes before reading about it. And that if a calling frequency does equally well if he always bluffs or never bluffs it will do the same no matter how often he bluffs. As she gets into higher math she continues to anticipate and come up with proofs before she reads them.

But unlike Fred she hits roadblocks. Explanations do not always come easy to her. And she would take three times as long to learn the stuff that Fred learned. And would not score as well on many tests.

Does her extra creativity mean that she is smarter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fred's a computer and Ginger is a human being. Until Fred can do what Ginger does, it's Ginger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I never saw this as a computer vs. a human, but you may be right. Computers can't make leaps. At least not at this time can they?

Edit: came across this article right after making this post. Seems the figurative is pretty important in human thinking.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...003/0002028376

Its interesting to contrast the figurative thinking skills with this article:

http://www.wcg.org/lit/bible/literal2.htm