Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Re: dear lebron james,

[ QUOTE ]
so basically you like the yankees because they gladly embody the excesses of large-market sports, whereas the red sox are half-assed about it and try to act all proletarian.

it would be better if you just hated both IMO, but i can see how liking a bunch of jerks like the yankees fits your mean personality

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

and

Yes

respectively.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT,
Liking a team because you like it's players/management/whatever is a lot different than liking them because they win.

[/ QUOTE ]

The two are often highly correlated though.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NT,
Liking a team because you like it's players/management/whatever is a lot different than liking them because they win.

[/ QUOTE ]

The two are often highly correlated though.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the good way, not the bad way.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:42 AM

I guess I don't really understand going into a season rooting for a team because you like how the GM drafts or because the new OC brought in the run-n-shoot.

I'm sure on the surface it's great because "your team" is winning the championship every 3 years.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:47 AM

If there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I like to see stupid people punished for their mistakes. When smart front offices do well, it means that stupid ones are failing. I like that.

There's also the selfish angle; someday I'd like to work in the front office of a baseball team as my lifestyle job.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That being said, all of the teams I named have young talent playing for them. That's exciting to me, and I like seeing young players get a shot. This is the same reason that I hate the Giants and Dodgers, because idiots like Sabean and Coletti getting shots to run teams while there are infinitely more qualified people just makes me gag.

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT'S AGEISM!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I like to see stupid people punished for their mistakes. When smart front offices do well, it means that stupid ones are failing. I like that.

There's also the selfish angle; someday I'd like to work in the front office of a baseball team as my lifestyle job.

[/ QUOTE ]

yet, you don't like the red sox, who employ bill james and voros mcckracken (sp?), among others?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reasons I like the Yankees:

1) They (and their fans) are unabashed jerks who try to buy the World Series as compared to the Red Sox (and their fans) who are like "zomg the Yankees have the highest payroll what a bunch of fdssdgdfdsgd." SHUT UP YOUR PAYROLL IS SIX TIMES THAT OF CLEVELAND. The Yankees have an owner who is a giant dbag and he doesn't try to hide it. I like honesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Being totally irrational is one of the great things about being a sports fan. You know why I love the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, and Patriots? Because I grew up in Massachusetts. If the management of any of these teams sucks (and some do, and have), I will hate that management, but I will love and support the team because they have the same name on their jerseys. I hate the Yankees, and I hate Yankee fans unless they are from New York or their father is from New York, in which case I still hate them but I get it. Yankees fans from elsewhere are all bandwagoning front-runners. I hate the Pistons because Bill Laimbeer beats his wife and Isiah Thomas is a little [censored] bitch like Jorge Posada. I hated the Lakers when I was a kid because they were the goddamn Lakers and Pat Riley's hair was ridiculous but now I hate them more because I live in LA and their fans suck bags of dicks. I hate the Mets. My second favorite baseball team is whoever is playing the Yankees, because the Yankees suck.

Deal with it.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:51 AM

I grew up in suburban Cleveland and have rooted for all the teams my whole life. Probably because there's nothing else to do, it seems like everyone in Cleveland is a die-hard fan. I have no doubt that if any adult in Cleveland saw Art Modell walking in a crosswalk, he/she would step on the gas and try to run him over, and if successful, would never be convicted of anything.

The Cavs making the NBA finals was one of the highlights of my life. I can't even describe how unbelievably pissed off I was seeing Lebron wearing a Yankees hat. I can't even think of an appropriate analogy -- Larry Bird wearing a Mets hat to Fenway during the 1986 World Series is the closest I can come up with, but even that is not nearly as bad, since Larry did not grow up an hour away from Boston, as Lebron grew up an hour away from Cleveland. What a complete scumbag. I mean, even if for some reason he is a Yankees fan, at least have the courtesy to the hundreds of thousands of local fans who worship him to keep it to himself, not rub it in their faces, and for crying out loud don't give an interview about it on national TV.