Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Live play Tendencies ....

[ QUOTE ]
6. And the oldest one in the book which is obvious everyone should know not to do it or use it a reverse tell. There are 3 flush cards on board and a player checks his cards. It is almost certain that he doesn't have a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this one is so well known that I make a point of it to always recheck my cards when I know I've made my flush.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Massive overbets on the river get called by bad players.

Bad players always play tricky. They like to bet when they miss, and play cute when they hit. Always.

Value bet them into oblivion with strong hands.

Guys who lose big pots, but still have a couple hundred left, often begin pushing with very marginal hands while tilting off the last of their stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really agree with that last one. Everyone thinks you are tilting off money, however the last three times I have seen this spot the tabled hand was AA, AA, KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean. Sometimes when I lose a big pot I'll pick up a monster in the next hand and I think about how the rest of the table will perceive my raise. I can pretty much guarantee an extra 2 people in the pot. But if I slow play them and no one raises behind then I get the fully monty. Either way, it can be brutal.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You'll see players raising ATo preflop UTG+1 all the time. And you'll see them get 6 calls and the last 3 callers will all say the same thing: "Now I have to call because of pot odds."

[/ QUOTE ]
This one makes me laugh a little on the inside everytime they do it. 92o on the BB, 5 callers to the UTG raise: "pot odds, call!!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It never ceases to amaze me that I almost never see a re-raise from any of these callers unless they have the hand there. All they need to do is push it once in while and watch the original raiser wilt. Everyone after him will fold like a deck of cards (no pun intended).
Old 10-10-2007, 12:58 PM

It still boggles my mind how a lot of people just don't pay attention, or they only remember what they choose to remember.

They won't notice that I haven't played a hand in 3 hours, and now all of a sudden, I'm 4 betting all in from the BB. They have to call because I obviously don't have a hand. And why don't I have a hand? Because I showed down a 7 10 off 6 hours earlier that I had re-raised someone with.

I can table one bluff, and be guaranteed that I'll get as much action as I want for the next 3-5 hours. Bluff, nuts nuts nuts nuts nuts nuts nuts, bluff, nuts nuts nuts nuts nuts. It's like shampoo instructions. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It still boggles my mind how a lot of people just don't pay attention, or they only remember what they choose to remember.

They won't notice that I haven't played a hand in 3 hours, and now all of a sudden, I'm 4 betting all in from the BB. They have to call because I obviously don't have a hand. And why don't I have a hand? Because I showed down a 7 10 off 6 hours earlier that I had re-raised someone with.

I can table one bluff, and be guaranteed that I'll get as much action as I want for the next 3-5 hours. Bluff, nuts nuts nuts nuts nuts nuts nuts, bluff, nuts nuts nuts nuts nuts. It's like shampoo instructions. Wash, rinse, repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT my typical private game strategy is to play every hand for the first round, then play super tight the rest of the night... They never pick up on it
Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 PM

I see this a lot too! To me it seems sort of [censored] up. Firstly, I don't really understand the $15 to go pre-flop. Should I change my raising criteria then?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. The average (even above average) Live 1/2 player has no real concept of how to extract value from huge hands post-flop. They usually just jam the pot as soon as possible and rarely give the pre-flop raiser a chance to bet at it. So, a $30 bet into a $10 pot or AI for $150 into a $40 pot often means they crushed the flop. This saves me a lot of money on continuation bets and pocket pairs post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a very good point! Many of the live players get MUBS when they have a great hand, and want to make sure they don't get beat.
They definitely lose a LOT of money this way not being patient. Exploit it!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:10 PM

I'll add:

People are extremely willing to stack off with an overpair. Since most live players only reraise aces and kings preflop its pretty easy to put them on a hand. Nothing better than stacking a player for 300 big bets with your low two pair then listening to them bitch about how bad you are for calling their $25 raise preflop.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since most live players only reraise aces and kings preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where you've been playing but I don't think I've ever played there. I've often seen pre-flop raises from early position with q10o or any pocket pair.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since most live players only reraise aces and kings preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where you've been playing but I don't think I've ever played there. I've often seen pre-flop raises from early position with q10o or any pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about re-raises. I probably phrased that poorly but while obviously there are various types of players there are a large number of players that only re-raise aces and kings. I'd say at an average live 1/2NL table there are at least two or three of these players.