Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Blogs: What do you read?

[ QUOTE ]
I've never really read any blogs. Just figured they are lame, like journal entries from people I dont care about. I Cant really think of anyone in the world whos journal entries I would want to read anyway

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't think reading Mark Cuban's personal thoughts on why David Stern is his archnemsis would be interesting?

While blogs may have started as personal Livejournals or whatever, they've increasingly become an alternative news source. You can get a lot of different perspectives that, without blogs, you'd probably never hear about.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never really read any blogs. Just figured they are lame, like journal entries from people I dont care about. I Cant really think of anyone in the world whos journal entries I would want to read anyway

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't think reading Mark Cuban's personal thoughts on why David Stern is his archnemsis would be interesting?

[/ QUOTE ]

no not really. I dont care all that much about sports or other peoples self perceived important drama, that just sounds like both [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
While blogs may have started as personal Livejournals or whatever, they've increasingly become an alternative news source. You can get a lot of different perspectives that, without blogs, you'd probably never hear about.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, apparently so, i was unaware of this. I found masons magazine analogy very interesting. Ive decided to check out this whole "blog" thing a little more. (wow, I sound like a crotchety old man, heh)
Old 10-25-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blogs are more than just some dude's online journal. Tons of blogs are based on a subject (a sport, technology, liberal news, cars, etc) and are basically just newsfeeds. Some are comedy writing. The blogs mentioned in this thread aren't 1000 LiveJournal clones, they're actaully well written news and entertainment sources.

Think of it like reading a magazine that comes one article at a time throughout the course of the day/week/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel really dumb for saying this, but until today I thought that blogs were just random people writing. anyway, what mason says.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:54 PM

thanks evan, great post.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:22 PM

Evan,

A bunch of tech/business ones for work, marketing analysis, competitive analysis, etc. Most of these are pretty niche and wouldn't be interesting to most folks.

Here are a handful that some here might find interesting:

www.venturebeat.com - venture financing blog

www.valleywag.com - from Gawker folks, Bay Area tech industry gossip column

Some other VC blogs:

http://www.ventureblog.com/ - check the left sidebar here for a long list of other VC blogs
http://avc.blogs.com/a_vc/
http://www.feld.com/blog/
http://redeye.firstround.com/
Old 10-25-2006, 03:26 PM

diablo-

can you teach me to be rich?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:37 PM

I just added google reader to my customized homepage, so this is definitely going to rule.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Am I missing out? Sounds like maybe its more than that. I dont follow sports or celebrity gossip otherwise id check out the ones on your list.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a big difference between blogs that talk about when some girl is getting her braces off and blogs that are news/opinion sources that you can't get in other media outlets.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a list of top blogs by links and by traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a poor way to find interesting blogs. The top listings are dominated by politics, and I don't see any way to look for a specific topic.

Do most sites support RSS now? I added slashdot, slickdeals, and magicthegathering, and they all seem to work. (Or is Google reader smart enough to somehow massage and present sites that don't even support RSS?) I was surprisingly even able to add a subscription to "http://www.cnn.com/TECH/". I guess those wouldn't be considered "blogs" though.

Anyone know any good xbox360/PC game RSS?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's interesting to me that you didn't use Technorati rankings for this.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

When I started blogging, (Sept. 2003), everyone used the Ecosystem to monitor where they stacked up against other sites. It also has more depth than Technorati.

For those who thought blogs were basically online journals, it's not uncommon for major political stories to begin their life on a blog. For example, Powerline and Little Green Footballs broke the Dan Rather / Bush / fake National Guard memos 60 minutes story that led to Rather's retirement. The Reuters photographer who was fired for photoshopping pictures from Lebanon was busted by blogs. I'm too lazy to go research which site broke the story, but an example is here.

Other useful sites:

Memeorandum highlights which news stories are being followed by blogs and links to blog posts about those stories.

Blogs Now tracks link popularity which can be interesting to find random stuff you might have missed, for example, pictures of the shuttle launch from space; or did you know that Scott Adams, or Dilbert fame, had lost his voice 18 months ago? His doctor says no one has ever been cured, but as of yesterday, he had his voice back.

You young pups need to get with this internet age. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The Poker Mom