Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Interpretation Question re: HPFAP

p. 193 - you start with AK and flop comes AT3

The suggestion is that with a small pot you would be inclined to call a flop better in a small pot b/c you may be beat and would likely only get gutshot straight draws and middle pairs, whereas in a big pot you would want to raise since "anyone holding these hands may now be getting the correct odds to call."

I'm guessing that what is meant is that "anyone holding these hands may now be getting the correct odds to call A SINGLE BET BUT NOT TWO BETS COLD." The idea being that you want to force out weaker drawing hands with a larger pot, but encourage calls from such hands where the pot is small and they are not getting proper odds to call, thus giving them an opportunity to make a mistake.

I ask this because my first interpretation in reading the explanation was that in the case of a big pot, you want to raise and build a big pot even if your opponents are getting proper odds to call, as opposed to raising to drive out players (i.e. this is a situation where you can't protect your hand, but you want to encourage action and build a big pot for a very strong hand). This interpretation raises the questions, though, of: (1) is it not still relevant that you may be beat in the example of a larger pot as opposed to a small pot (I guess the answer here may well simply be that big pots call for a greater need to protect your hand - even if you may well be beaten and re-raised) and (2) why not raise with the small pots to force gutshots and middle pair draws to fold and thus increase your chance of winning the pot - i.e. why only raise b/c they will be getting the correct odds to call, why not raise to make sure they aren't getting the correct odds to call (again, perhaps the simple answer here is what I've guessed above, that it is assumed the pot is sufficiently small that simply calling offers gutshots and middle pair draws less than proper odds for calling while a raise will force them to correctly fold their hand)?

Maybe these points are splitting hairs somewhat, as depending on the specifics of the situation either analysis could lead to the conclusion that it is better to call with small pots and raise with the larger pots, but I was curious as to how others were interpreting the intended point.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Interpretation Question re: HPFAP

All-In preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2006, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All-In preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was helpful [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2006, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(2) why not raise with the small pots to force gutshots and middle pair draws to fold and thus increase your chance of winning the pot

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it comes down to the object of poker is to win money, not pots. Calling in a small pot and getting overcalls from hands that dont warrant it will net you more money then raising them out.

As for raising in a bigger pot its true that you might also be beat. But even assuming that you will be beat the same amount of time in a big pot as opposed to a small pot(which I dont think is the case) the additional money in the pot makes it a much higher EV play.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean page 93 or page 193?
Old 06-12-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]