Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 11:26 AM

Default my solution to the gay marriage argument

OK so I don't post here usually, bear with me.

Legally stop recognizing all forms of marriage. The tax/financial benefits will be available to any two adults, they fill out a "civil union"/"household income" form (same as they do now), pay their $40 or whatever, and it's settled. As far as the government's concerned, the churches/temples/mosques lack the legal authority to provide that tax benefit.

So then the churches/temples/mosques can marry whoever they want to, or be as bigoted/biased as they want, not marry gays, etc... there will be no "perversion of the sanctity of marriage" or whatever... and at the same time, the government will be giving the same rights to everyone.

I mean... it isn't just unfair to gay people, the tax benefits of marriage. It's unfair to ugly, lonely people too.

Doesn't this just seem like the ideal solution? Remove the right of religious institutions to legally marry people, it gives them the authority to marry/notmarry whoever they want, the government is treating everybody equally... win/win, no?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: my solution to the gay marriage argument

It's a good idea but it'll never happen while there's a government. Homophobes like the fact that they can force other people to pay to enforce their personal views.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 PM

If this happened, I would immediately become civilly united with some poor college student or homeless person so I could save a ton on my taxes. And so would every other single person.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this happened, I would immediately become civilly united with some poor college student or homeless person so I could save a ton on my taxes. And so would every other single person.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what? it's unfair to reward married people and punish the people too ugly/miserable to find someone to marry. just abolish the tax benefits to marriage altogether then.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between this and getting married to one is what exactly?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so what? it's unfair to reward married people and punish the people too ugly/miserable to find someone to marry. just abolish the tax benefits to marriage altogether then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supporting a family of 2+ on a given income is different than supporting a single person on the same income. It makes perfect sense to take less tax from an income (or combined income) that supports at least 2 people than from the same income for one person.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Supporting a family of 2+ on a given income is different than supporting a single person on the same income. It makes perfect sense to take less tax from an income (or combined income) that supports at least 2 people than from the same income for one person.

[/ QUOTE ]

and if people are roommates, so what? they're supporting a household of 2. most married couples each have jobs/incomes. i fail to see how this is an argument agaisnt what i'm proposing.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just abolish the tax benefits to marriage altogether then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From each according to his ability to each according to his need.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 PM

welcome mbilly

This has got to be the one of the simplest illustrations of how stupid and selfish the general public is.

Marriage is a contract between 2 people nothing more nothing less. The government involvement should reflect this and only be involved via the courts when contract negotiations are required (divorce). In fact this could also easily be done through civil arbitration w/ no government involvement at all.

The problem comes when people get selfish and ignorant. Bible thumpers want to use the government to negate some peoples contract rights. Gays want to use the government to force people to do things their way. Both of these ideas are idiotic and wrongheaded.
If a gay couple wants to get married it is none of the churches business. If a church wont marry a gay couple then they should go somewhere else.

cliff notes: people are Dbags
Old 11-19-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
welcome mbilly

This has got to be the one of the simplest illustrations of how stupid and selfish the general public is.

Marriage is a contract between 2 people nothing more nothing less. The government involvement should reflect this and only be involved via the courts when contract negotiations are required (divorce). In fact this could also easily be done through civil arbitration w/ no government involvement at all.

The problem comes when people get selfish and ignorant. Bible thumpers want to use the government to negate some peoples contract rights. Gays want to use the government to force people to do things their way. Both of these ideas are idiotic and wrongheaded.
If a gay couple wants to get married it is none of the churches business. If a church wont marry a gay couple then they should go somewhere else.

cliff notes: people are Dbags

[/ QUOTE ]

Solution : no government that Dbags can gain control of.