Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Travel Adventure after graduation (june 08)

Hi everyone, I've just spent the last 3 hours lurking through the 225+ page Thailand thread and it got me to thinking about my plans for next year. First off, I am going to SDSU and am graduating next semester. I find it incredibly depressing to think about going right into a career and staying in America. I got a taste of travel when I was 14 and went to 6 countries in Western Europe with my parents and brother. I cant even express how much it changed how I thought about people and the world and I loved it. Then 2 years ago I read "Into the Wild" and got it stuck in my head that I needed to have a "self-awakening" journey of my own (not to say I don't want to have great times along the way.. i.e. get drunk in the bars in Thailand and have orgies). So a few months ago I decided I wanted to travel to as many places as possible after I graduate with no set return date and put my dream into action. To my surprise my family was completely supportive. I really want to travel while I am young and still impressionable, as well as physically capable of exhausting travel. I started saving money about 5 months ago and have a decent roll for the trip. Right now I'm working a standard hosting job at a local restaurant and dabble in online poker to keep building my travel roll.

Anyway, I want to start developing a basic itinerary for my trip. I am fairly certain that circumstances and people I meet along the way will side track me quite a bit, but nevertheless I would like to have a basic blue print of what I want to do. The main locations I want to hit so far are... Brazil, Western/Eastern Europe, Thailand, Japan, Australia... possibly South Africa. Conceivably I would like to fly into a central point that might serve as a base camp for my journey and go to the other locations from there. I know I just named basically every continent on Earth but I'm sure theres got to be some people out there who have attempted something like this and can give me some advice, I'm really looking for any useful tips or recounts of experience here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Aside from the locations I am a bit concerned about traveling alone for legs of the journey. My trip to Europe was with my family and I felt very comfortable. I have 2 best friends who each want to go to some of the locations I mentioned with me during different spans of time. I love to discuss experiences and share experiences with friends of like mind and that speak English (a necessary component for deep/meaningful conversations in my case).

I become a bit uneasy when I think of traveling in a foreign country by myself, as I am a very anxious person thanks to my dad (genetics). But I also have a side of me that pushes my limits and I learn a lot about myself in those situations. I moved from Washington to California by myself to go to school, but that pales in comparison to being in Thailand for example by myself. So any suggestions about travel companionship would be nice and dealing with anxiety while traveling? Lastly, it would be great if someone could share a checklist of some kind listing all the essentials needed for living out of a backpack for an extended period of time (during my Europe trip my whole family had nothing but 1 "Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back door" travel backpack a piece and did fine). I know I will need a passport/visa for each country or is there some kind of all purpose visa? Also, I would really like to start making connections with people on this forum living in other countries to discuss travel and other cultures.

ok, Thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Travel Adventure after graduation (june 08)

I would advise not having a very strict itinerary. Too many people treat the world like some kind of buffet where they have to cram as many things as possible into a limited time frame and consequently don't enjoy them as much as they should. Since you have plenty of time, travel should be like a relaxed 7-course dinner with a nice bottle of wine.

Research the places you're interested in and come up with a tentative itinerary, but be prepared to change or even abandon it according to what happens. Maybe you love Dublin and want to stay longer than you planned. Maybe you planned on staying in Prague for a week but absolutely hate it and leave after a night. I first came to Vientiane on a visa run/mini vacation, ended up loving it, and am now more or less settled here.

As far as making friends and combating anxiety, booze is your ally. I don't know of any expats who don't drink too much. Liquor is the key that opens the portal to adventures you'll remember for the rest of your life.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As far as making friends and combating anxiety, booze is your ally. I don't know of any expats who don't drink too much. Liquor is the key that opens the portal to adventures you'll remember for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT
Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 PM

My friend did somethign like this, and I disagree with the way she went about it. She went to about 8 or so locations across the world and spent maybe a week in each one. You'll have a much more memorable, fulfilling trip if you spend more time in fewer places.

For example, when doing Europe, why not take a long trip East to West? This will let you go at your own pace and adjust your itinerary as you learn about yourself and your interests.

This way of traveling takes more time and money, but it gives you a much more complete glimpse of the world. It also fits the "adventure" format much closer than taking a flight every week.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend did somethign like this, and I disagree with the way she went about it. She went to about 8 or so locations across the world and spent maybe a week in each one. You'll have a much more memorable, fulfilling trip if you spend more time in fewer places.

For example, when doing Europe, why not take a long trip East to West? This will let you go at your own pace and adjust your itinerary as you learn about yourself and your interests.

This way of traveling takes more time and money, but it gives you a much more complete glimpse of the world. It also fits the "adventure" format much closer than taking a flight every week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no time frame though on my trip, I could be gone 3 months, I could be gone a year or more. While Europe sounds very appealing, it is also very expensive compared to south america, thailand, and other regions. Also, does anyone know of a way to generate some form of income besides online poker at internet cafes while traveling? Ive heard of people getting paid under the table for online work (sounds vague I know).
Old 10-18-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no time frame though on my trip, I could be gone 3 months, I could be gone a year or more. While Europe sounds very appealing, it is also very expensive compared to south america, thailand, and other regions. Also, does anyone know of a way to generate some form of income besides online poker at internet cafes while traveling? Ive heard of people getting paid under the table for online work (sounds vague I know).

[/ QUOTE ]

For the love of god, please make more money and don't become a backpacker.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there something wrong with being a backpacker? I get the sense they are looked down upon by some in other countries... not necessarily the locals, but other travelers. Is this correct? If so, why?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there something wrong with being a backpacker? I get the sense they are looked down upon by some in other countries... not necessarily the locals, but other travelers. Is this correct? If so, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahah
Old 10-18-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahah

[/ QUOTE ]

could you possibly elaborate?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahah

[/ QUOTE ]

could you possibly elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a local, need money from tourism.
Would you prefer

-a well dressed, nice smelling guy spending a lot for his holidays probably with his family.
-a backpacker with doubtful personal hygiene living on 5$ a day and bananas pancakes, partying in the street ( clubs are too expensive ) drunk on cheap beer

But you are a backpacker already I think, so...