Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Where do you want to finish?

explain.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:35 PM

You are defining freedom in the same sense that it is possible to say a teller being held at gunpoint is free to not give the bank robber the money. Technically that is true since she still has agency but that is not a definition of freedom that is useful for any discussion.

Consider the food example you used. To be at the mercy of the charity of others or to be required to commit crimes in perpetuity to eat is not freedom.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:54 PM

You have only explained why the definition of freedom I gave is different than yours, not why that definition isn't meaningful or useful. If you accept my definition I think happiness becomes less subject to a detractor, and that is meaningful.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My #1 goal in life is to acquire freedom.....I want the end of my life to be 100% freedom where the only responsibilities are ones that I want to take on.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is essentially my life right now and i'm bored out of my mind. i've been doing "nothing" for a year and a half now and though i don't like it, i also can't imagine getting up every morning and going to work either. this is causing me some distress because from the time i was in high school on i've loved every job i've ever had - including pumping gas and parking cars - and yet now it feels like that will to work has just evaporated. i hope it magically appears some day soon.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM

I don't understand how you deal with the fact that certain choices require that you exchange money to have them. If you don't have money those choice are not an option. If some choices are missing then you have limited freedom.

My weekend involves travelling to a different city, staying at a hotel, doing some shopping and going to a few clubs. I could choose to stay at the Park Hyatt but their security would drag me out of the lobby quite quickly. My freedom to choose to stay there is conditional on me paying for the room. Likewise with the vast majority of activities. Lack of resources will limit choices. If choices are limited sufficiently then the person does not have freedom in any meaningful sense.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this is essentially my life right now and i'm bored out of my mind. i've been doing "nothing" for a year and a half now and though i don't like it, i also can't imagine getting up every morning and going to work either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you do nothing? The whole point of not having a job yet having wealth is to do something. Run me though your typical day. You get up and then just don't leave the house?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why do you do nothing? The whole point of not having a job yet having wealth is to do something. Run me though your typical day. You get up and then just don't leave the house?

[/ QUOTE ]

nah - nothing just means i don't work - i travel, i do whatever i want, but i actually think not having to work really throws off everything for me. primarily the fact that my time now has far less value and so i'm not efficient anymore. i used to be a machine, but now i'm just lazy.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:55 PM

i dont have the energy to get all philosophical right now, but I have to say that my sentiments match up with those of JB. existentialism ftw
Old 11-01-2007, 04:58 PM

see: your username.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
see: your username.

[/ QUOTE ]

Snap.