Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Soft play at 1/2 NL?

I am fairly new to NL (this is my first session over 1.5 hours), I have played LHE for some years now.

I am sitting at a NL table for about 6 hours when this occurs. There is one caller, and I raise $10 pre-flop with 77. Only the limper calls.

As the dealer is preparing to deal the flop, my opponent asks me if I want to check down the hand. I have played with him for most of the 6 hours and he and I have gotten along.

I can't stand the idea of checking hands down for many reasons but among them, I came to play. I want to learn and I want my opponents to play me hard. And earlier at the table, one guy had said "If you bet I will fold." So the opponent bet, and the guy said "raise"...

So I tell him no. Then the flop comes 742 two spades and I say "Maybe the flop will hit me" as the dealer drops it on the table. He then says he is on a flush draw and do I want to check it down (again). I say I'm not sure I believe him and I make a pot sized bet. He calls.

The turn is the 2 of spades. I bet $50 and he calls. The river is a blank, I bet $100. He tanks and then calls.

After I flip my hand, he starts getting incredibly upset - obstensibly with himself - for calling. He says "I told you I had a flush". And then he says "You were trying to tell me you had a hand when you bet $100". I don't really say anything.

What I want to know, is:
1) Do these "lets check it down" requests happen a lot at NL? (I saw it on one other hand I wasn't involved in - and one player declined)
2) When both players agree to check it down, is it binding?

It almost never happens at LHE. The only time I have seen it at LHE was two guys who knew each other very well or a husband/wife HU.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Soft play at 1/2 NL?

I've experienced it too. When I realize that I've gotten too chummy with one (or more) of the other players, 2 things happen: 1. my game is not the best, & 2. Your pal will try to take advantage. Rack your chips and take a break.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Just say, "I can't do that. I'm a (censored)" and then bet. Everyone will laugh, and you won't have to slowplay. FWIW, its ALWAYS an angleshoot when someone asks.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 PM

People say a lot in a live NL game to get an advantage. I just usually say something like "Well that wouldn't be fun" when someone says something like checking it down.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I want to know, is:
1) Do these "lets check it down" requests happen a lot at NL? (I saw it on one other hand I wasn't involved in - and one player declined)
2) When both players agree to check it down, is it binding?

It almost never happens at LHE. The only time I have seen it at LHE was two guys who knew each other very well or a husband/wife HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Checking it down is pretty common, but usually the two players know that the other one will check it down. I've not seen any instances where I felt it was really cheating, but it obviously at least appears collusive to the last guy out.

2. As far as I know, checking it down is never binding.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:55 PM

I see it more in limit then in NL but I do see it in both (too much IMHO). I don't like it and always say NO when asked (and I am asked WAY too much - Play poker for crying out loud!).

The last time I played 2-5 NL at Bellagio, there were a few regulars who would play against tourists but check it down if against only each other. One Asian older lady (from the Check-it-Down Club) asked me to check it down with her. (perhaps spotting me as a Vegas local)

I gave her my default response,"Sorry Lady, I came to Vegas to drink free beer and Gamble!".

Best Wishes

Howard
Old 10-22-2007, 10:49 PM

Unfortunately common. Drives me nuts when asked, I have only accepted once when playing heads up with a cute dealer who was playing NL for the first time. Still felt dirty.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:17 AM

Thanks to all for great response ideas and for sharing your experience with this.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, its ALWAYS an angleshoot when someone asks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Often it's just how someone likes to play. Every heard of "want to run it twice?" Similar idea.

This often happens with a hand that someone does not want to make difficult decisions with, and also doesn't want to play with their whole stack. Or just doesn't want to make big decisions - just wants to play a relaxed hand. Of course it *could* be an angle shoot, but often not.

Hands they might want to play this way are AK, 66, or 65s. And it's not necessarily a bad bet to take either.

Since your opponent told you he had a flush draw, you now know you can't trust him. Meaning: agreeing to check down is not binding, and since he lied about that, he could lie about checking it down too. You can

1 - agree to check down against someone you trust
2 - agree to check down a hand like 77 against someone you don't trust, and then hammer then when you hit your set and they bet into you on the river
3 - simply decline
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM

"NO WAY !!! I came here to gamboooool !!! Waitress, another round for the whole table, please."