Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

I pretty much disagree with your whole "end of empire" talk.

Most of what I've seen from "the elephants" have been surprisingly good and it even seems like they have a somewhat SABR view of baseball.

Keep in mind these are the guys who insisted on the Joba Rules along with insisting he will be a SP next year. Also, since they have had their quasi control we have seen absolutely no desperation moves at all, nor any trading of good prospects.

edit - I do agree with you that Girardi would be a bad choice.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:34 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseba...sada_40_-2.html

[ QUOTE ]
Yankees likely to offer Jorge Posada $40 million (ed: for 3 years)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much disagree with your whole "end of empire" talk.

Most of what I've seen from "the elephants" have been surprisingly good and it even seems like they have a somewhat SABR view of baseball.

Keep in mind these are the guys who insisted on the Joba Rules along with insisting he will be a SP next year. Also, since they have had their quasi control we have seen absolutely no desperation moves at all, nor any trading of good prospects.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, apparently the view from arizona is very gloomy.

i personally don't think girardi is a bad manager. in fact, i think he is quite good, though we are yet to see if he is really old-school or new-SABR-school. yes, he clashed with one ownership, which is notorious for playing baseball like the stock market, win-and-dump. he was hard on a couple of his rookie players, (btw, he was right in that instance). but you can't know that he'll ruin anyone's arm at this point.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Desert Cat,

May I respectfully ask: Do you have a clue? Do you need help finding one?

Girardi has already been the bench coach for the Yankees and before that he was a player for several years. The Yankees -- front office and players and owners -- know him. The Marlins hired him and then proceeded to sell off what remained of their team, leaving him with a minor league team to manage in the majors -- and he did an admirable job with them. The pitcher burnout rumors have been circulated and never proven. Which pitcher did he burn out? The only pitcher over 200 innings was Dontrelle and it was his fourth season and he pitched fewer innings than he pitched the previous season. The only indication I have seen that he burned anyone out is the fact that many of the pitchers did far worse this year than last year -- maybe that has something to do with the Marlins firing the Mananger of the Year?

And you also make the ludicrous suggestion that the Yankees hire a meak manager just so the front office can run the team. Wow. That is crazy. Cashman (or anyone else in the front office) is the worst person to make on field decisions regarding the use of players... and given the way that Torre used pitchers and players "sub-optimally," I am not worried about any of the current candidates.

Any more worthwhile opinions?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Desert Cat,

May I respectfully ask: Do you have a clue? Do you need help finding one?

Girardi has already been the bench coach for the Yankees and before that he was a player for several years. The Yankees -- front office and players and owners -- know him. The Marlins hired him and then proceeded to sell off what remained of their team, leaving him with a minor league team to manage in the majors -- and he did an admirable job with them. The pitcher burnout rumors have been circulated and never proven. Which pitcher did he burn out? The only pitcher over 200 innings was Dontrelle and it was his fourth season and he pitched fewer innings than he pitched the previous season. The only indication I have seen that he burned anyone out is the fact that many of the pitchers did far worse this year than last year -- maybe that has something to do with the Marlins firing the Mananger of the Year?

And you also make the ludicrous suggestion that the Yankees hire a meak manager just so the front office can run the team. Wow. That is crazy. Cashman (or anyone else in the front office) is the worst person to make on field decisions regarding the use of players... and given the way that Torre used pitchers and players "sub-optimally," I am not worried about any of the current candidates.

Any more worthwhile opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you agree with me more? Girardi was a huge red-ass when he played with the Yanks, hopefully they remember how volatile he can be. And that marlins team had a lot of talent, did Girardi hit Ugga's homers for him? 200 innings isn't a measure of pitcher abuse, with young pitchers it can be the increase in innings from one year to the next but the front office could be concerned about signs of fatigue that lead to injury. Girardi failed, he was due to be fired by Beinfest regardless.

The prevous manager had the Joba rules forced on him by Cashman. Are you seriously suggesting the next guy should get to do whatever he wants? In Valentines case you could have had a guy smart enough to help formulate guidelines for best use of players.

Maybe Im just paranoid about the elephants, but in the valentine decision and the silly Torre offer I see Cashman on the outside.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:17 PM

you guys..alll these interviews and stuff are just show.

Our new manager is Donnie Baseball.
The Steinys want it, the players prefer it, and even Cash is probably fine with it. Plus he'll come cheap and unlike other managers because he's a yankee legend...he'll get more than one year before getting canned if things don't go well.

Joe G is a Tom Coughlin type of manager...we don't need that right now.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:42 PM

3 years for 40... EH... as long as its not 4 years i'll maintain my sanity somewhat..

How much would we have to offer him in $$$ to make it a 2 year deal?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM

from Rob Neyers column

I can't speak to the accuracy of these Yankees-related rumors, but they're certainly intriguing ...

A source of mine with Yankee connections had some good info for me today. Much was discussed yesterday in Tampa.

For starters, the Yanks are expected to make "eye-popping" offers to retain Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera before the World Series ends. The team does not want the pair to file for free agency.

Additionally, the Yankees may make a big play for Aaron Rowand. They believe a package of Melky Cabrera, Chien-Ming Wang, and Ian Kennedy would entice the Twins for Johan Santana. That's a huge price, but doesn't seem out of line to me for the best pitcher in baseball.

My source didn't have anything about Andy Pettitte, who hated seeing Joe Torre go and will take a month to decide if he's even going to play next year.

1. Santana
2. Pettitte
3. Hughes
4. Joba
5. Moose
Old 10-23-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They believe a package of Melky Cabrera, Chien-Ming Wang, and Ian Kennedy would entice the Twins for Johan Santana.

[/ QUOTE ]

what
Old 10-23-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They believe a package of Melky Cabrera, Chien-Ming Wang, and Ian Kennedy would entice the Twins for Johan Santana. That's a huge price, but doesn't seem out of line to me for the best pitcher in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

zomg please happen