Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Default 25k Hands of Total Smashing

All hands at 1-2, 2-4.

Probably a typical 6 max downswing. However, my stealing % is 4% down from when I was running goot. Seems everytime I try a little theft from the CO or HJ I get cold-called in one or two spots. Also, I have been getting played back a lot. All they do is float me or check-raise and I have to toss my A6 or whatever on a K89 board.

Are my aggression stats too low? I usually play during Euro time when the games are filled with hyper-aggressive spewdonks who do nothing but check-raise and jam. Very good games, but obviously high variance.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: 25k Hands of Total Smashing

You're just running bad. You seemed to be playing well in the games we were in and they were definitely good tables. You play a little more nitty than I do, but that shouldn't matter at 1/2.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Thanks, Abs.

I would like to open up my game. I notice your stealing range is much wider than mine. 72off and 96off come to mind [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. How does that work out for you?

Everytime I steal light, I either get cold-called or the blinds play back at me.

Also, I notice you iso 3 bet EP raises with middle pairs a lot more than I do. My min is 99 when an unknown raises from UTG or the HJ. I'm sure it's a player dependent move, but is it something I should be doing more of?

And again, I don't semi-bluff very much at these levels, because they never fold.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Everytime I steal light, I either get cold-called or the blinds play back at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you trying to steal with mediocrity against spew-donks that almost always defend?

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I notice you iso 3 bet EP raises with middle pairs a lot more than I do. My min is 99 when an unknown raises from UTG or the HJ. I'm sure it's a player dependent move, but is it something I should be doing more of?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go all the way down to 55 if I know the player isn't a tight-ass.

[ QUOTE ]

And again, I don't semi-bluff very much at these levels, because they never fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't either. 1/2 is straightforward. Just hit hands hard and jam hard or value-bet your marginal ones. No need for any real tomfoolery.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My min is 99 when an unknown raises from UTG. I'm sure it's a player dependent move, but is it something I should be doing more

[/ QUOTE ]

If reraising vs. a correct utg open-raiser that 99 is one candidate for the correct hand, the others being 88 +/- 1 (the best formula in my opinion, and here one should consider e.g. one's position) and 77 (that could be as good as 22 - so there are also players who 3-bet any pair).

The 3-bet hands are based mainly on showdown poker values that are different from real poker and are based on 50% that's just perhaps an average of the pot odds, not the last position, re-reraise risk. In practise it can't make a significant difference as it's too close until one can prove that not 3-betting 22 is a sucker play.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:54 AM

I was only doing that against you because I was messing with you. My stealing range is pretty wide, but it's mostly because I think I can outplay them post-flop. You can beat 1/2 for a decent rate. I'm sure of that. As Scorcho said, it's mostly just waiting around to value bet. Then, you just try and avoid about half the deck 2x as 3 people call you down after donk betting into you in a multiway pot with 2nd pair. If you're 1 pair hands aren't holding up, then you're going to run badly. If it makes you feel better I just dropped about 125BB tonight at 1/2 and I think I was playing my best.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was only doing that against you because I was messing with you. My stealing range is pretty wide, but it's mostly because I think I can outplay them post-flop. You can beat 1/2 for a decent rate. I'm sure of that. As Scorcho said, it's mostly just waiting around to value bet. Then, you just try and avoid about half the deck 2x as 3 people call you down after donk betting into you in a multiway pot with 2nd pair. If you're 1 pair hands aren't holding up, then you're going to run badly. If it makes you feel better I just dropped about 125BB tonight at 1/2 and I think I was playing my best.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do your post-flop agg. numbers look like?

I feel I'm too passive sometimes. Not necessarily because I'm seeing monsters, but because since people tend to play nutty heads-up, I rather induce bluffs than induce them to fold. Also, I don't like creating tough decisions for myself with 2nd and 3rd pair type hands. Because when I usually checkraise out of the blinds with a strong hand, they auto 3 bet me. I don't like being put in that situation with marginal hands.

On the other hand, since they don't fold, I should be taking the lead more.

Still trying to figure out a comfortable balance between the two.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:13 AM

OP - forget about stealing with 72o...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:07 AM

Just took a quick look and your AF's look pretty low when taking your preflop tightness into constideration.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 AM

I'd say open up some. even with rake considerations 22/15 is awful tight. I think you are probably missing a lot of profitable opportunities to play from late position, stealing, or defending your blind.

But you could just be running bad and playing really tight because of it.