Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Re: internet gambling bill to be protested in d.c. on monday

Ugh, why on Monday. I have to work.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:08 AM

I would skip work and head down there if it sounded more like a worthwhile event. Does anyone know how they're communicating this primarily? I can't imagine they're expecting a large turnout based on a post to 2+2 and possibly some other sites. I think a protest is a good idea, but as others have said, it has to be well organized and well publicized to be effective. Does the OP have any more info on this? Where did you get this text to post?
Old 10-08-2006, 11:17 AM

I agree it's a terrible idea, especially on such short notice. Why would the media be in DC for Columbus Day (Observed)? And aren't all federal offices closed Monday? Haven't all the Taliban who voted for the fatwa left town for the campaign trail to gloat over their victory?

Worst possible time to have a protest.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:21 AM

this will definately do more harm than good if there isn't a large turnout. whoever organised this is an idiot - for nothing more than the 1 day notice that has been given. 2+2 is the largest poker forum on the internet and should be one of the first places you go to advertise such a protest along with the PPA website. doing it with 1 days notice is awful, especially since the bill doesn't get signed until friday so you could easily have held the protest later in the week.

i respect the motives and effort behind organising such a protest and at least this person is doing something positive to try and fight this but the manner in which it is being done is a joke, just like the PPA themselves.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't all the Taliban who voted for the fatwa left town for the campaign trail to gloat over their victory?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit I just spewed coffee all over my keyboard. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would the media be in DC for Columbus Day (Observed)?

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts too. Wouldn't the media be more likely to be around when it is NOT a holiday?

[ QUOTE ]
According to organizer Debbie Richardson, "many things can happen as a result of the protest."

[/ QUOTE ]

well, if Debbie says that many things can happen I suppose it must be true.
Internet-poker player and occasional political pundit MicroBob said, "There's very little chance anybody pays any attention to this protest whatsoever. And even if somebody did it still wouldn't change anything."

Even with 1 month advance notice this would be a collosal waste of time.
With only 1 day notice it appears to be organized on the fly by somebody who doesn't have much of a clue.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:45 PM

The earliest I could find anything was Oct 6.
Links here:
http://mb.winneronline.com/showthrea...ded#post127193
http://www.knowwhentohold.com/
http://www.72os.com/poker/index.php?...ic&id=4352
http://bonusparadise.proboards59.com/ind...read=1160139741
http://www.cmoftheyear.com/forum/top...?TOPIC_ID=2145
Here's a copy of one of the posts:
[ QUOTE ]
PROTEST in Washington:
We are going to Washington to protest the bill to stop online gaming. Everyone that can possibly go needs to show up and fight for your rights. If we let it go, then we lose. The bill is supposed to be signed by Bush on Friday the 13th. So it is important to be in Washington to start the protest on Monday. I am going on Sunday, to start the protest on Monday, which is Columbus Day and even better because we will get more media coverage.
Anyone that would like to go I urge you to do so. This can't be stressed enough how important it is.
If we don't fight for our rights and our freedom we lose!!!
If you would like more info or need to call to find out where to meet, use the info below.

Phone: 910-619-0563
Email: drichardson@bizec.rr.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I smell a disaster waiting to happen. http://www.cmoftheyear.com/forum/top...?TOPIC_ID=2145
Old 10-08-2006, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must admit this reeks of a hachet job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. We're gonna need a trip report on this one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2006, 02:03 PM

Good thinking here. Hooray for Debbie Richardson?? Probably get 1000 people tops. CNN or NBC, if they even notice it, will probably put up a 10 second soundbite and have a good chuckle about it. The protestors may as well just bring the tin foil hats while they're at it. I was afraid something like this was going to happen.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bush is allowed to strip away add on bills to bills he is signing so that they can be sent back to Congress to be debated and voted on as individual bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

Edit: It's extremely irritating to know that the people who are supposed to be working on our behalf don't even have a firm grasp of basic civics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he sort of can. He could simply veto it, and say "I'm not signing this bill unless I get a version without this extraneous Internet Gambling crap" (this is distinctly different from the line item veto which is no longer allowed and would involve just striking the rider and signing the bill). Not that he ever would.