Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

Jay-

I'd be very interested in something like this because I haven't had much if any success post-UIGEA in cash games and have all but given up on Poker as a potential source of income until I retool my game and decide what poker format will be the most lucrative for me. I've always been able to eek out wins at low stakes and against inferior players, but I struggle in tough games.

Due to some financial considerations eating up my former roll, I haven't played cash much in the past year and don't really feel my skills are up to par.

My goals would be to eventually play the 5-10 and 10-20NL games at Commerce regularly and to follow the tournament scene playing NL cash games, at the WSOP and other big events etc.

I was never a particularly flamboyant player when I did play
2-4 to 5-10 NL in the boom days, I played a nut peddling style - I would love to learn the techniques and strategies that will make me a winner in these modern games.

Please consider including me in as a 2nd tier group players looking to rail the lessons if not in the actual group itelf.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 AM

1. How you are currently improving your game

Most notably, I've been teaching/mentoring in order to futher my own understanding of NLHE. This has always been a great way for me to reinforce anything I've learned.

I'm currently working with a player who couldn't tell you if a flush beat a straight a week ago, and is now crushing lowstakes.

Obviously I'm also reviewing my sessions, and reading/posting strat as much as I can.

I've always been a sponge when it comes to knowledge. I'm always looking to learn, and poker has been a great outlet for that. I'd love to learn and share anything I could gain from this mentorship.

2. Your poker goals.

I play professionally, and want to be able to do that for the forseeable future. I want to learn everything about this game humanly possible, and use this to build a strong financial foundation for myself and family for generations to come.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

I'm currently playing 1/2NL and 2/4NL, and have probably taken ~$200,000 lifetime. Screenshot from the biggest DB I have:

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

I'm posting strat almost every day, and there is some good hand analysis in my blog at times (link at bottom).

This was probably my most notable post here:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

5. A little about yourself.
I'm a 25yo poker pro living in Seoul, Korea. I moved out here to teach english, but after the school I worked for went bankrupt, I went back to the profession that put me through university. I've been here for about 1.5yrs.
My blog: www.themainsdomain.blogspot.com
Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 AM

Not so much, have had a lot of travelling the past month, but would like to do some more to be better.

2. Your poker goals.
Be able to beat 3/6 or 5/10 NL at a decent rate. Im basicly rolled/overrolled to do so, but my game is too weak tight for this level, Im pretty sure.

Like 500 hours of 80$/hour. Pokertracker is a bit slow, screenshot in a bit. Ill post a screenshot when I return from the gym, really really have to get going now. But can give this:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10012933

and this:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10494974

Stakes 1/2 to 5/10, I do heavy table selection when I play.

Past earning is indicated in 2)

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.
Not really anythig recent

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply. Please apply ONLY in this thread.
21 year old danish University dropout (Mathematics).
And lastly Im Trix's brother and since talent runs in the family I should have great porential :-)
Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jay;

More details no what kind've stakes you play/etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

From OP:

[ QUOTE ]
My qualifications are played for 4 years beat 5/10 and 10/20 for 4 years. Currently playing exclusively 5/10 euro or 10/20 euro. 105k biggest ever month. 80k biggest ever downstreak (party blackjack 5k bets ha). Used to avg 14h/week for my first 3 years of playing, now trying to avg 32hr/week. Goal is a stress free poker career because of huge confidence in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 04:09 AM

Jay,

1) I'm currently being coached, and that's helped me a ton since I started. When I started being coached I was breakeven at .5/1 (and had never touched HU), so I'd say I've been successful at applying the lessons I've learned through coaching thus far. I read MSNL/SSNL/HU regularly, although I don't post as much as I should. I tend to not post in threads where 5 people have already stated the obvious answer, and I'm generally not confident enough in my thought processes to make the first post in an interesting thread. For some reason I think a smaller (though not necessarily weaker or less interested in a strict pursuit of good analysis) community would suit me far better.

2) I plan to use poker winnings to pay off my undergrad loans before I finish grad school (2-3 yrs from now). I have about 80k in loans, so I have a pretty long way to go before I get there. I'd imagine this goal requires me to move up to somewhere from 3/6 and 10/20 for it to be readily attainable.

3) I play 1/2 6max and HU right now, and I plan on taking shots at 2/4 very soon. I've made about 25k lifetime play poker - about 20k of that is this year.

4) Meh I just looked through my past 200 posts or so and didn't find anything groundbreaking. I really gotta post more.

5) Like many others I took up poker first as a hobby, then as a competitive outlet to replace the sports I played when I was in HS. I'm a grad student (biomed engineering), so clearly I'm a sucker for theoretical and intellectual exercises (and punishment lol). When I get my phd I probably won't know what to do with myself for a while, but once I come around I'll either run a lab somewhere or get into consulting.

Bonus - I've played about 220 hours since July (quals in June so I didn't play) and I've made about 15k. I can definitely make videos, and while I've set up a website before I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Thanks for doing this!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:23 AM

Awesome we're back!

General Stuff

I've answered all the PMs that needed answers, the applications sent in PM i wont reply to but i will read when making the final decision and then post here who got accepted.

I'm going to let this run for likely another day but maybe another 2 days if there are unanswered questions etc.

Because of the large response i want to say again, this is not coaching, it's mentoring and that's because i want to do it in a format to suit me. I wont be reviewing your videos or be available for hand discussion on AIM, that will just take too much of my time.

How i'm going to do this

However saying that, i do feel the format i have in mind will have a lot of benefits. I plan to:

- Allow any of the 10 players to sweat my session _anytime_ i'm playing. I'll probably register logmein and daily post the address needed to view if i'm playing. I may be available on skype in these sessions but i'd prefer this to be one way of me speaking of my thought process and review what i thought on the hand, then when i review my session i'll probably speak about what i thought but i wont be available for questions and answers in these sessions.

- Have biweekly official sweat sessions. This will be all of us on skype and sweating, me talking about the hands as they happen and then 30 mins per 1.5h of questions and answers after the sessions. After a few of these i'll give each student a chance to choose the theme of the sweat session, so if a student is struggling with river folds, turn bluff raises or how to adjust to a certain opponent then they can say that and i'll speak more about that.

- I don't know if my computer and connection will be able to handle the 10 players viewing if not i'll make videos often, upload them and you guys can comment amongst yourself in the forum and i'll reply w/ my thoughts. I'm a big fan of making videos since in the past i've made them and just deleted them just because i play better when speaking outloud. That was really what gave me the idea to do this as there was a lot of good poker material that i was just binning.

- Monthly i end up with a lot of text documents with my workings out or hand reading etc. I'll upload all of these.

- I'll probably write some articles, but again these will be mostly new concepts that i want to get my head around more.

- I'll likely post 'homework assignments' in two forms, one will be plays that i think the average player doesn't make enough of, a 4 bet bluff preflop from the BB when it's btn raise and sb reraise for example, then have you guys over the next week make this play at least once in a situation you felt it was suited. The other form will be tough hands i played that i'll post and ask you all to post your thought process.

- I'm going to group the players at equal stakes and have them do video trades with each other. Recording their thought process while playing and then send it to another who can then speak over that video themselves with camtasia or just write down the thoughts.

- This will be over a 5 month period, most likely Jan - May giving us Dec to get a website up, and all the students to get headsets, skype, camtasia up and running. For this 5 month period i want each of you to have a goal of where you want to be after it and then break that down over monthly goals. This is where i want to get you guys to.

Remember this period of time in your poker career will be for improvement of your game not for making money, so you're goals should reflect that as should the number of tables you play.

I'm sure i'll come up with more but the above i think will have a great impact on your games and do in a fashion that doesn't cost me tons of time.

And remember, a lot of the improvement really depends on yourselves. If you're going to be rigid or not get past your bad habits or not want to make the next level of plays then you wont get anything out of this.

And lastly, i'm EXTREMELY excited that Ike wants to be apart of this for those of you who don't know he's a very very good player and also used to play limit before making the switch to NL. I have a personal liking for player who are able to do that as they are more the players who really get the fundamentals of poker and just apply those when switching over. If he gets onboard you guys are very lucky.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im a 10/20 NL player.. do you work with people that want to move from 10/20 NL to like 50/100 NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my question as well, he said hes not gonna be back till tommorow though so I think im just gonna do an application anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think i really have that much to offer the guys already beating 10/20 nl. I've beaten 25/50 nl over a few ten thousand hands but i've always cherry picked it.

What i think would be beneficial to us all though would be if i took an extra 3 to 5 5/10 - 10/20 nl players who don't want to be mentors and we helped each other by trading videos and posting hands together and then made these videos and discussions open to the other students. If you guys are up for that that would be great.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:39 AM

I haven't read the applications yet just skimmed but it does seem there aren't that many applications that want to run the website. The website is going to be extremely basic, a private log in for each student, a place to download videos (or we can use one of the free uploading sites) and a forum just for articles/hands/chat.

Being able and willing to do this will greatly increase your chances of getting in it seems.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:42 AM

Jay, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but do you have any concerns with revealing your cards to 10 people at any time while playing HSNL? I know that you're obv going to pick people that you trust but there's a ton at risk here. I think videos might be a better call.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading SSNL, posting (although not here) and will be giving advice/staking a micro player soon. Also been a member of cardrunners for 7-8 months.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Your poker goals

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to be playing/winning NL600-NL1000 by summer 2008. I don't think i will ever play poker as a job but i am ready to invest a lot of time to get better.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently back to NL100. This year been playing NL100-NL200 and some NL400. Discovered HU and monkey tilt of course. Up like ~7k in NLHE in last 4-5 months (didn't play for a month or so)

[ QUOTE ]
4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta admit that i haven't been posting much. One reason is that English is not my 1st language but the main reason is that i find that most of the hands that are posted are so hard to comment because the table dynamics/game flow are way more important than the information usually given in the posts.

[ QUOTE ]
5. A little about yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a student, also have a job (where i have a lot of free time and access to the internet). Been playing for few years but got good about a year ago or so. I feel like i'm underperforming and def have potential to get better and be a winner in higher stakes. Oh, i'm an Euro too.
Closed Thread