Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Is this a \"bad beat\" or just poor playing ?

[ QUOTE ]

2. You have a relatively large stack, and you got involved with the one player who could bust you. Unless you think the player is capable of semi-bluffing the pot with a heart draw on the flop, you're either way ahead or way behind. I wouldn't have called the pot-sized bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought 66 55 was a decent hand.

I guess any "flop pairs" always have the potential for a fullhouse, so should I really only be playing two pairs when I have two different hole cards paired with the board? ... and no other pairs showing on the board?

What would you want to have for hole cards in order to call with that flop?

Or do you mean you would have raised ... or folded with my hand?

Mike
Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM

In early position, 66 is really too weak to play unless the table is really passive. Even if this is the case you should be able to play well post-flop and you should raise 3/4 x BB from UTG.

When he min-raises just call. Fold to the flop-bet. It is very likely he holds an ace and the pot bet is bigger than most players bet when the are continuation betting. You got lucky on the turn and the shove was correct because he has been playing strongly making it likely he will call. You got unlucky on the last card but the hand was played quite poorly.

BTW, i read something about it being difficult to fold a full house. You should almost never fold a full house, especially at lower stakes. Its almost never +EV.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM

Pretty bad play and the ace falling on the river sucks BUT mostly there were just some pretty big mistakes that you probably could have avoided.

1. fold PF
2. don't minraise three bet, call once your in
3. stop and think before calling the flop, it's pretty obvious he has you beat here, so if he is capable of laying down a weak ace then it would be possible to put in a sizeable reraise, but the second he bets, when you closed the action on the flop, you should know you are beat and insta fold imo.
4.Nice job getting the money in when you hit your 2 outer on the turn, and it sucks he rivered the ace.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought 66 55 was a decent hand.

I guess any "flop pairs" always have the potential for a fullhouse, so should I really only be playing two pairs when I have two different hole cards paired with the board? ... and no other pairs showing on the board?

What would you want to have for hole cards in order to call with that flop?

Or do you mean you would have raised ... or folded with my hand?

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

In itself, the flop pair helps you in that situation because that makes fewer cards out there that the villain pairs. But with small pairs (your hole cards, not the flop), epecially out of position, you're going to need help to stay in the hand. Oftentimes, you'll either hit your set and make a bundle, or you'll be folding to a flop bet.

Plus, with the ace on the flop, it's more likely than any other card to have made a pair for the villain. This, more than the flop pair, would lead me to fold to a pot-sized bet.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:54 PM

Hey man, I want to say your honest attitude is perfect for becoming a winning player and that's great. There's some great strategy advice here already but I'm going to clutter up your thread anyways.

[ QUOTE ]

With 66, should I even be raising? ... or even playing the hand for that matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

9-handed game, you are in worst position with 8 people to act behind you, 66 is simply not strong enough to open-raise. In this spot, I would open-raise JJ or better pairs, and AQs or better Aces. The raise would be about 3x the big blind, because min-raising only encourages people to come in with speculative hands to win a big pot. As long as the table is not super-aggressive (lots of raising) pre-flop, a limp is good, because you are risking 60 chips to try and flop a set and win a large pot with minimal chip risk.

[ QUOTE ]
I've read different things some saying don't ever raise pre-flop unless you have AA, KK, AK, other things I've read have suggested if you're going to get into a pot, start with a raise to knock out anybody with marginal hands.

My "reasons" at the moment are a mixture of testing things that I've been reading, and a lot of guessing-hunches

[/ QUOTE ]

Great stuff, you just gotta try everything and see what works. As far as the raising only AA/KK/AK and such, everything in poker is so situational ie. number of players at the table, your position, looseness of the game, level of the tournament, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

That's why I've been only playing freerolls, though I might start trying the penny-stakes stuff ... after a few more thousand practice / freeroll hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Best of luck dude, you gotta try it all and see what you like best