Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Big Tourney = Softer Cash Games?

I am going to be in Vegas in a few weeks and there is a series of tournaments at Caesar's that week(end). So I am wondering if them having large buy in tourneys means I should make a point to go play in cash games there vs. another room on the strip that weekend?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Big Tourney = Softer Cash Games?

bump
Old 10-02-2007, 02:29 PM

I can't speak for Vegas, but when big tourneys come thru my home card room (which is the only one for 2.5 hours - hence no competition), the games get noticeably softer and fluffier.
I never miss a circuit event, and I rarely play tournaments.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:38 PM

I've played tournament time in the local (AC) cash games.

The good: More players = more games (selection).
Playing people who are recently bust in that day's event can be very lucrative - they are on mega-tilt often and will generally stack off light. Also you'll occasionally see people trying to earn their buyin for the next tournament in cash games after failing in the satellites. They stack off super light too.

The bad: Sharks aren't stupid, they'll be trailing the smell of the fish. Don't get the two confused [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The bad: Sharks aren't stupid, they'll be trailing the smell of the fish. Don't get the two confused [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is defo true. I made a point of heading to the local card room on 7/7/7 (July 7 this year) thinking the mad azn gamboolers would be out in force. Apparently everyone else had the same idea: those were some of the toughest games I've played in all year.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 PM

I find this to be somewhat true up here in Minny.
We have the Fall Classic in Oct at Canterbury and it brings all the No Limit Tournament players up for the daily tourneys but the thing is we don't have NL ring games so many of these people end up sitting in limit games which is not their regular game and you can just see them steaming when their AA looses in a typical multiway CP hand when someone makes their straight on the river.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 PM

At the clubs on Long Island, NY that I play in there are 2 well attended $500.00 multi table tourneys, when i say well attended I mean for a private club they get between 40 and 60 players making for a healthy prize pool. More than half of the players are gamblers or wealthy guys just looking to blow off steam, there are usually 30 players in the $200 last longer. When these guys bust out the $5/10 NLHE/PLO game is a wondeful place to be. The game is good till dawn because someone is always stuck 7 or 8 dimes, some kid wins $6000 off of a short buy in and there is $15-20k on the table for quite a few hours. The same holds true at the Borgata Friday afternoon, the cash game gets really good as people bust out of their guaranteed tourney so I imagine that the the bigger events produce even better games. Good point about avoiding the sharks, there are plenty of cash pros who make their living playing exclsively in side games on the tournament circuit.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Vegas Regs?

Any of the Vegas dealers or regular players care to comment?