Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Ima break my lease, tell me what\'s wrong with my gameplan plz.

So I moved into a 3 bedroom condo with two girls about 4-5 months ago. I pay $500 per month + utilities.

When I was checking the place out, I told them I was looking to sign a 3-6 month lease. They said we would get the best deal if we signed an 11 month lease. I sort of groaned a bit, saying again how I wasn't looking to sign that long of a lease.
One of them looks at the other and says, "oh, well you can get out of it early."

I look back, and realize she was pretty much talking out of her ass. We all three went down and signed a lease at the rental office. Obviously I can't just go down there and tell them I want out, problem solved. I'm sure their is a cancellation fee, and we would all have to be moving out to cancel, not just me.

So I have a couple ideas, let me know what you think and why they might not work. They are essentially the same but one includes a big sympathy factor for me.

A.) I tell them I'm giving my 30 day notice that I'll be no longer living with them starting Nov. 1st. I pay them the full amount for October. Basically I'm going to tell them that they said I could get out of my lease, so that is exactly what I'm doing. It's up to them to find a new roomate, and it's up to them whether or not to tell our complex what's going on.
If they have a problem with this, I will simply say, "Then take me to court. We had a verbal agreement that I could end my lease early, and that's exactly what I'm doing. Maybe next time you'll learn not tell a potential roomate they can get out of the lease without thinking it through."

Option B is pretty much the exact same thing as A, except I throw in that my father/cousin/whoever is very ill and I'm going to be moving in with them to take care of them. Again, I'll just say that I'm giving my 30 day notice to them, and if they don't like it, I'll see em in court.

These girls are pretty lazy/cheap for the most part, and I don't see them actually forking out the dough necessary to take me to court.

My only real concern is that they could go to the leasing office, and explain to them I'm just leaving, and somehow the leasing office comes after me. This seems unlikely though because we're all on the lease together...all the complex cares about is getting a full check each month.
Not like they will except their amount of rent, and come after me for my portion.

So it seems to me they would simply find another roomate, as that is the cheapest and easiest solution to their new situation.

Anyone see any glaring issues with this plan? Seems pretty solid to me.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Ima break my lease, tell me what\'s wrong with my gameplan plz.

Find them a roommate since you signed an 11 month lease?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 PM

You should be able to get out of the lease, especially if you can find someone to take over your portion. If you can do that, its an easy procedure.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM

If you can't find someone, you should be able to break your commitment, but there is probably a fee. They can't force you to stay there.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:29 PM

Ya, I thought about that, but one of the main reasons I want out is because of their 3 cats. 3 cats makes it tougher to find a roomate, so I just look at all of this as their problem.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:30 PM

ah, its your problem too.

Go talk to the office, tell them you want out, ask what your options are.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I thought about that, but one of the main reasons I want out is because of their 3 cats. 3 cats makes it tougher to find a roomate, so I just look at all of this as their problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kill the cats. Problem solved.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ah, its your problem too.

Go talk to the office, tell them you want out, ask what your options are.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, don't do this.

do you each pay rent individually or does one person pay? if it's the kind of lease where the landlord collects from each of you there is no [censored] chance your little stunt will work because it will be the landlord coming after you, not some lazy cat lovers.

if you haven't been paying the landlord directly there is some chance it will work but the law is still not on your side.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:15 PM

I've been kinda considering getting a roommate moving in with people, and as such have been scanning craigslist a bit. The girls shouldn't have a huge problem finding a roommate unless they're hella picky.

If this post was made next Feb, I'd probably be PMing you. I like cats.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:20 PM

I've thought about just "letting them go outside for awhile" many times, haha.

But now the cats are always in their rooms, so I suppose they really aren't a problem anymore. Except when my roomates are chillin upstairs watching t.v. they bring them up for a little while with them. Then they go downstairs to do something and can't manage to remember their [censored] cats.

The main reason I want to get out is because my dad owns some land in New Zealand and he's offered to fly me out there to just chill for (their) summer.

fwiw I would even be thinking about breaking my lease early if she didn't tell me from the start I could.
Closed Thread