Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Beginner FAQ....Tips and Drills Inside-All Levels

[ QUOTE ]
I'll try to look it up, but one of my older golf buddies swears by this rule everytime he tees it up, and he's an honest guy.
I guess I should've verified it before posting, but like I said, he's not the lying type.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could only see how hard I'm laughing right now.

BTW, there is no such rule.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll try to look it up, but one of my older golf buddies swears by this rule everytime he tees it up, and he's an honest guy.
I guess I should've verified it before posting, but like I said, he's not the lying type.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still looking but it appears I've been getting hustled [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still looking but it appears I've been getting hustled [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll help

USGA Official Handicap System Manual

Rule 5-1d

[ QUOTE ]
Scores Made under The Rules of Golf

Scores must be made in accordance with the principles of The Rules of Golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure a mulligan on the first hole isn't allowed in the Rules of Golf. If so, Baddely should've taken a mulligan on the first hole on Sunday. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2007, 04:19 PM

Bastard!

He's a few strokes behind me on average but he likes to play straight up for the challenge of it.

More often than not he uses his "official mulligan" (lol) off the first tee.

Thanks man, he's gonna hear about this for sure.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:12 AM

On the "don't stand in someones' line on the green" subject...

Make sure your shadow is not in their line either. Apparently this annoys people just as much.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Tips on how high/low to place the tee, depending on the club? Assume player is a complete noob (i.e., 2 or 3 rounds ever).
Old 06-26-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tips on how high/low to place the tee, depending on the club? Assume player is a complete noob (i.e., 2 or 3 rounds ever).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a modern driver with a massive face it's really hard to tee it too high.

But it really depends on each individual golfer. Make sure you can at least see half the ball peeking over your driver if you're looking at it from behind.

I know scratch golfers who tee it up high enough to whiff underneath the ball, and I know some who like to tee it pretty low.

I would simply suggest for you to hit ~30 balls at different heights to get an idea of the differences in ball flight.

With short irons you should tee the ball up just above the ground. Long irons you can go a little bit higher, but you still shouldn't see much of the tee sticking out of the ground.

Just keep in mind that nothing is wrong if it works for you. If you need to make custom 5 inch tees because that's what allow you to hit your best drives, do it.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Setup - the grip

For almost any shot in golf, most amateurs should loosen their grips. Whether putting, chipping, pitching or swinging, the swing should flow. Loosening your grip allows you to slow down your back-swing, improve your tempo, improve your timing, and more easily square your club face at impact (assuming it was square at address and assuming your swing is on plane - big assumptions).

The tip I've always heard is to pretend you are holding a baby bird in your hand. Hard enough so it doesn't jump out, but light enough that it isn't injured.

On putting, Ben Crenshaw (un-arguably one of golf's greatest putters) once said that just before you strike a putt, someone should be able to knock the putter out of your hands with relative ease.

When you lighten your grip, the importance of a fundamentally sound grip becomes very obvious. Whether you use an interlocking, overlapping, or even baseball style grip, make sure your hands feel as though they are melded into a single unit, and make sure your grip is as relaxed as possible without losing control.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:05 PM

If I hit over a pond ( red stakes ) to a green and the ball hits the ground on the green side and rolls back into the water can I drop on the green side or do I have to drop before the water?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:42 AM

Red stakes define lateral water hazards.
If the pond is in front of the green, and you need to carry it, it should be marked yellow (regular water hazard).

If it is red, then one option is to drop within two clubs, no closer to the hole, from the last point the ball crossed the hazard.

If it's yellow, you have to keep the point where the ball last crossed between you and the hole. So you'd have to drop before the water.
#15 at Augusta is a good example.