Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: New Football League, Cuban to own a team...

[ QUOTE ]
This league's strategy is supposedly to pay a premium for 2nd rounders on. If they can fill out the league with guys who are nfl-caliber or just below it, it would be a nice gap-filler between college and the NFL. Plus, we might get to see actual careers for college stars who can't make it in the NFL.

I fully support this, and I'm looking forward to Friday Nights now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cuban is a very smart businessman, if he and his partners have researched the new CBA, players salaries/caps, and total number of players on the market and have decided they can score some worthwhile players, he is probably on to something. It doesn't mean it will work but he is too smart to be that wrong, this is not like the XFL getting headed by vince mcmahon or whatever.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This league's strategy is supposedly to pay a premium for 2nd rounders on. If they can fill out the league with guys who are nfl-caliber or just below it, it would be a nice gap-filler between college and the NFL. Plus, we might get to see actual careers for college stars who can't make it in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

a gap-filler? I'm curious what you mean by that. Are you suggesting that players who are expected to have solid but unspectacular NFL careers would go into this league for their first 2-3 seasons, then go into the NFL?

While I think the days of blacklisting are over, I don't think the NFL would be particularly happy about their depth being eaten up - a league that already struggles with depth issues, IMO.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:11 AM

For those that have not seen the NYT article here are the main points that they were selling:

1. The Wall-Street guy that is heading this whole thing met with Bill Walsh some time ago and Walsh basically told him that the last 20 to make the team and the first 20 to get cut are essentially the same caliber of player.

2. Go after markets not currently in the NFL and play on Friday nights, which by law the NFL can not do. The NFL has stated that expansion is not in any near term plans for the league.

3. A salary cap will be instituted, however they believe they will be able to pay NFL non-first round picks more than what the rookie draft scale is in the current NFL Bargaining Agreement. The average NFL career is only 4 years long and if most of that is under your rookie contract, you have a better chance to maximize your earning potential in this new league.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cuban is a very smart businessman, if he and his partners have researched the new CBA, players salaries/caps, and total number of players on the market and have decided they can score some worthwhile players, he is probably on to something. It doesn't mean it will work but he is too smart to be that wrong, this is not like the XFL getting headed by vince mcmahon or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think Mark Cuban is somehow immune to making a bad business decision because he is a billionaire, yet Vince McMahon is some kind of idiot with a net worth of several hundred million?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3. A salary cap will be instituted, however they believe they will be able to pay NFL non-first round picks more than what the rookie draft scale is in the current NFL Bargaining Agreement. The average NFL career is only 4 years long and if most of that is under your rookie contract, you have a better chance to maximize your earning potential in this new league.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is smart imo, b/c the new league has recognized an inefficiency in the amount of money these guys get - each NFL team could probably afford to pay them more.

however, this isn't a sustainable strategy b/c the NFL could easily react. the new league really shouldn't be competing on price at any level. I'm pretty sure that's right, though I'm far from an expert on NFL finances.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think Mark Cuban is somehow immune to making a bad business decision because he is a billionaire, yet Vince McMahon is some kind of idiot with a net worth of several hundred million?

[/ QUOTE ]

"It doesn't mean it will work but he is too smart to be that wrong"

I said it doesn't mean it will work, but Cuban is smart enough that there is probably some potential here. When someone as smart and successful as him has a business idea, its usually worth listening to, moreso than if it came from some random dude.

I'm not even sure what youre getting at about mcmahon. i never said he wasnt smart, hes awesome at what he does, but what he does is run the wrestling industry, something totally different than cuban. the xfl was something very different than what they are trying to do here, i dont think they are comparable.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is smart imo, b/c the new league has recognized an inefficiency in the amount of money these guys get - each NFL team could probably afford to pay them more.

however, this isn't a sustainable strategy b/c the NFL could easily react. the new league really shouldn't be competing on price at any level. I'm pretty sure that's right, though I'm far from an expert on NFL finances.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was similar to my first reaction, but maybe its possible that this will have some success if there are more talented football players than there are roster spots and enough people who want to watch football from april-sept. maybe the difference in ability between who ends up staying in the NFL and who gets cut is very small. Though this league might have a problem producing star players and getting people attached to their hometown teams. The Giants are terrible and embarrassing but I'm still a huge fan and will always be. It's arbitrary but those are my tastes and thats what they will always be.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that was similar to my first reaction, but maybe its possible that this will have some success if there are more talented football players than there are roster spots and enough people who want to watch football from april-sept. maybe the difference in ability between who ends up staying in the NFL and who gets cut is very small. Though this league might have a problem producing star players and getting people attached to their hometown teams. The Giants are terrible and embarrassing but I'm still a huge fan and will always be. It's arbitrary but those are my tastes and thats what they will always be.

[/ QUOTE ]

while I am also suffering as a giants fan, it's worth noting that the team made the playoffs the last two years - there are a lot of teams worse off.

and yeah there being no difference between the guys who are cut and the guys who stay isn't a big deal because NFL rosters have a lot of players who never get on the field aside from catastrophic injury/special teams.

CFL football also failed to catch on in the States - and its rules make it a more 'exciting' game than the NFL.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it doesn't mean it will work, but Cuban is smart enough that there is probably some potential here. When someone as smart and successful as him has a business idea, its usually worth listening to, moreso than if it came from some random dude.

I'm not even sure what youre getting at about mcmahon. i never said he wasnt smart, hes awesome at what he does, but what he does is run the wrestling industry, something totally different than cuban. the xfl was something very different than what they are trying to do here, i dont think they are comparable.

[/ QUOTE ]

What specifically do you think makes Cuban better to run a startup league than McMahon?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What specifically do you think makes Cuban better to run a startup league than McMahon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he would be running a team in the startup league.

Two obviously things that qualify him would be:

1) He currently runs a team in a sports league.

2) He has very successfully run a startup business.

I guess those would be the arguments. Technically, I don't think he would be any more or less successful at running a single entity within a league that somebody else has created than McMahon would.