Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:00 PM

Default How can anybody believe in karma???

Bad stuff happens to good people each and every day. I'm talking really, really bad. Rape, murder etc...

I would guess most christians believe that in the long run (possibly after death) good things will happen to those who do good. So they will say doing the right thing will "eventually" pay off.

But for those who aren't believers of God, how can you explain your belief of karma?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: How can anybody believe in karma???

You're probably going to come back as an Ottoman.

What makes you think you need a god to keep the karmic books straight? Likewise, reincarnation doesn't require a god either.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:56 PM

I don't think any atheist truly believes in Karma. We just use it as an expression like 'they got what they deserved'.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're probably going to come back as an Ottoman.

What makes you think you need a god to keep the karmic books straight? Likewise, reincarnation doesn't require a god either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say you need a god, I just pointed out that I'm aware how people who believe in god will just say that in the long run (which in the case of a christian is life after deat) good deeds will pay off.

I'm more interested to hear from those who DON'T believe in god, yet still believe in karma.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think any atheist truly believes in Karma. We just use it as an expression like 'they got what they deserved'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a chick on youtube that claimed to be an atheist (and I guess she is)..but she claimed to believe in karma and reincarnation because she liked the idea and it was comforting to her to believe it.. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]..surprised she wasn't sucked into a typical religion with those smarts
Old 05-29-2007, 04:57 PM

I don't think she really is an atheist. Wouldn't believing in God be comforting as well?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Is bad stuff more likely to happen to a good person or bad person? You create your own universe.

BTW whats karma?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think she really is an atheist. Wouldn't believing in God be comforting as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't follow. Not believing in one thing has nothing to do with believing in something else. Karma and Christianity are different things, not the same thing with different names.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:32 PM

OK, first, karma is a Hindu doctrine that's not compatible with Christianity. What it means, in short, is that your actions now create your future environment. e.g., if you hurt people, they're more likely to be hurtful in the future, i.e. this lifetime or some future lifetime (reincarnation is a given, obv). The more you do this, the more likely you are to run into someone you have hurt (or they have hurt, or so on).

I could see how an atheist who believed in reincarnation (if you could find one) could believe in karma, but not how a theist who didn't could. One lifetime is too small a sample size to expect the odds to approach expectation.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]