Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Boring/Standard Preflop Question

This is a situation I have not encountered a lot before.

Button is a player trying to play good but insists on playing 80% of unraised pots and generally is bad. He also likes to berate others play. Some dude hit a 1 outer on me in some large pot and this guy gave him a 30 minute lecture on how badly he played the hand. Anyway, . . .

Fold to Button: Button open limps.

I have

a) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
b) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I am in the SB

I raise both these, knowing button will call, correct?

Does it matter that the BB is loose? If so, does it change the decision?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Boring/Standard Preflop Question

If he is playing 80% of his hands then this has to go upstairs. Way too much hand to get to play against his range and even when the BB comes along you are in okay shape.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:54 PM

These both look like really easy raises. Ask about Q9o and J8s and maybe there's a debate.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:25 PM

Cool. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These both look like really easy raises. Ask about Q9o and J8s and maybe there's a debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those would both be pretty close. As far as the original post, I think a much more intersting question would be what to do with these against a button open raise. I am usually 3 betting both but vary this a bit depending on the stealer and the BB.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:39 PM

Suppose that BB is going to call the raise 100% of the time - is this is still an easy raise? How about with Q9o and J8s?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 PM

Both of those hands should be completes if BB is calling 100% of the time.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suppose that BB is going to call the raise 100% of the time - is this is still an easy raise? How about with Q9o and J8s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of those are easy raises UNTIL the regulars in the game you play realize that you're dangerous and you'll have to watch out to see who is taking into account that it is YOU that they are messing with. The beauty part is many of them will never adjust.

I may raise w/ those other hands if I think button is a particularly weak, manipulable player. Other than that I'm not that macho.

I'd also like to see a discussion of open limping on the button. I absolutely hate it but I recently read some poker magazine article (don't remember which/who) who advocates it for certain types of hands.

Edit to add:

I don't mind if the BB is always going to call. It's when the BB is the type who knows what you are doing and may very well 3-bet that there is a problem.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of those are easy raises UNTIL the regulars in the game you play realize that you're dangerous and you'll have to watch out to see who is taking into account that it is YOU that they are messing with. The beauty part is many of them will never adjust.

I may raise w/ those other hands if I think button is a particularly weak, manipulable player. Other than that I'm not that macho.

I'd also like to see a discussion of open limping on the button. I absolutely hate it but I recently read some poker magazine article (don't remember which/who) who advocates it for certain types of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

live player dont adjust they just coldcall u more and hope to hit a flop, 99.9% of live players are dopes
Old 07-02-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both of those hands should be completes if BB is calling 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say this? A6s and KJs are considerable favorites against the random holding BB will have. If he's calling us with 74o, K3s, and 92o, not raising would be criminal.