Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Opening Up Your Eyes and Your Game (very long)

I'd imagine this "open" style is not very effective at 200NL?

But it was a brilliant post...
Old 04-28-2006, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Reraising Preflop

Many midstakes players have a very tight reraising range. They will reraise their big hands, and even though their range is so slim, they still make far more money on these hands than they should be making, given how well defined their hands tend to be in certain spots. These same players are content to just call preflop with certain hands, and even though their decision to call may be +EV, they don't even consider their third option, which is to reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Reraising definitely should be considered. Here is some advice from the HU/SH limit forum to think (but probably not to use preflop): "If you are not sure whether to call or fold, raise!"

It's also good to think about why so many MSNL players do not reraise lightly. One reason is that we're used to playing against SSNL players who are too passive for their own good, who are not raising lightly. It doesn't make sense to open up your reraising range against someone who is only raising JJ+ and AK, and who will not fold to a reraise. When someone raises with A8, 55, and T9, then you can profitably reraise with many more hands.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:09 AM

The first two seem to be strategies against other 2+2ers - should create action for all of us in the next few days. There'll be a few more 4-bets with 65o in the future.

I agree 100% about bankroll considerations - the standard of 20 is way too light for anyone who is a pro or semi-pro and without other significant sources of income to replenish that; a player will go broke or have to drop multiple levels eventually. I'm willing to play 3/6 or 5/10 when my buddy list finds a fish there (I'm 92PTBB/100 at 5/10 over my first 14 hands, no less), but I'm not moving up until I experience the downswing I know is coming.

I've already begun re-raising light out of the blinds and taking it down pre-flop or with a c-bet 90% of the time. I do it mostly because I'm upset that these people keep stealing my blinds time after time -

BTW, the retards (or, I suppose, in homage to AJFenix, downies) who keep saying brown trout or asking me if I'm a 2+2er - do people just completely ignore screen names here? - ah well, separate complaint I guess.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The first two seem to be strategies against other 2+2ers - should create action for all of us in the next few days. There'll be a few more 4-bets with 65o in the future.

I agree 100% about bankroll considerations - the standard of 20 is way too light for anyone who is a pro or semi-pro and without other significant sources of income to replenish that; a player will go broke or have to drop multiple levels eventually. I'm willing to play 3/6 or 5/10 when my buddy list finds a fish there (I'm 92PTBB/100 at 5/10 over my first 14 hands, no less), but I'm not moving up until I experience the downswing I know is coming.

I've already begun re-raising light out of the blinds and taking it down pre-flop or with a c-bet 90% of the time. I do it mostly because I'm upset that these people keep stealing my blinds time after time -

BTW, the retards (or, I suppose, in homage to AJFenix, downies) who keep saying brown trout or asking me if I'm a 2+2er - do people just completely ignore screen names here? - ah well, separate complaint I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i was ar your table when some downie kept askin some other guy..... guess we had 4 2+2ers.....

-JP
Old 04-28-2006, 11:24 AM

I see McShove is being himself here. perfectly fine with reading and learning. Gets his nickers in a twist when he fears someone else might learn something he thought he had monopoly on.

Reminds me of a thread in STT a week or so ago about what skills you need to move from STT to NL cash. McShove being his usual helpful self:

[ QUOTE ]
B-wig. I don't really want to post the exact things you do to make the switch, but you've helped me in the past at SNGs.

PM me if you want help, i'll be glad to PM you back.

I meant B-wig, my bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf? um i offered advice to b-wig not you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-28-2006, 11:26 AM

Excellent post.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
awesome, i'm ahead of the learning curve!!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ugh...why post this? AJ if you have such a firm grasp on the game, as it seems you do from this post...why post it for free for anyone to read? I know i sound selfish, but really!

[/ QUOTE ]

seems to be consistent with EVERY OTHER POST ON 2+2. i admit this was better than most, but this is a forum where everybody collaborates to become better. don't worry too much, the # of people that will read this post is almost certainly <1% of your opponents lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. less than 1 %? Nearly every 3/6 table i look at has 1 or 2 regulars, half of whom I KNOW read this forum. I love 2+2...but this specific advice...Kratzer, Fenix..this only hurts us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea, McShove.

For anyone who wants, I'm hosting a 2+2 book burning in the NYC area. Our message is simple: no one should be allowed to tell anyone anything about poker. I'll even play that book burning music from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade the whole time - it'll be fun.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
awesome, i'm ahead of the learning curve!!

[/ QUOTE ]

btw gp, I found nothing wrong with your preflop play in that other thread and I thought alot of people were being overly critical of what I thought was a good move preflop.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are now ignoring this user. You will no longer see the body of any of their posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

glad I could get this out of the way before I move up and start posting here.

BTW, Awesome stuff, AJ