Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Things that are cheaper than they should be.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like mason said, public transportation in most cities. Bus rides anywhere on route for $1 usually, trains for $2. Compared to car loan, auto insurance, gas, maintenance, oil changes... public transportation is probably the most under-priced thing I can think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong, but I thought public transportation was subsidized by state taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

HEAVILY subsidized by taxes.

In fact, I will go so far as to say that in several(many?) cities it would cost significantly less money to buy every single public transit user their own economy car/insurance than it does to have them ride the bus.

I know for a fact that this is true in Milwaukee where I live. But the problem is that most of the recipients of these free cars would sell them immediately for drugs/alcohol.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like mason said, public transportation in most cities. Bus rides anywhere on route for $1 usually, trains for $2. Compared to car loan, auto insurance, gas, maintenance, oil changes... public transportation is probably the most under-priced thing I can think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong, but I thought public transportation was subsidized by state taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, I will go so far as to say that in several(many?) cities it would cost significantly less money to buy every single public transit user their own economy car/insurance than it does to have them ride the bus.

I know for a fact that this is true in Milwaukee where I live. But the problem is that most of the recipients of these free cars would sell them immediately for drugs/alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also true to remember that a majority of people who use public transit and don't have a car are using public transit to get to and from work and are paying the taxes that go towards paying for the public transit. Without public transit and no way to get to work that's a lot of missing tax dollars.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being hyberbolic, or do you actually think buying cars and gas for everyone is cheaper than public transporation.

Public transportation should be subsidized because the benefit to society (less congestion and pollution) is greater than the benefit to the rider.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Newspapers...

.25 for the NY post
$1 for the Times...

Hundreds of pages of current information and it costs even less if they deliver it to your door every day!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can read everything that tomorrow's newspaper will have in it before it comes out...for free. Still, it's a great deal if you want old news in paper form.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Getting a tire patched. Car goes from undrivable to road ready for about $8. I always feel like I'm getting the best deal ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean patched properly at a good tire place, or plugged at a crappy gas station?

If you mean plugged it's going to explode and kill you. You have to get them properly patched.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had several tires plugged (and plugged some myself. If you're gonna plug 'em, you might as well do it yourself as pay somebody) that the plug outlasted the tire. Patching is better, but a plugging kit can be a lifesaver if you get a flat out in the boonies and your spare is already flat. A plugged tire won't explode. Worst case, it goes flat again. Besides, a lot of places will patch a tire for $10 or so.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stamps

Mail something from anywhere in the US to anywhere else in the US in just a couple of days for something like 40 cents which is very nearly nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize the US mail is subsidized by taxes, right? That's like saying "The U.S. army is cheap. I didn't pay anything for it!"

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not correct. The US post office has been self-supporting since the '80's. Before that, they were tax-subsidized.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Newspapers...

.25 for the NY post
$1 for the Times...

Hundreds of pages of current information and it costs even less if they deliver it to your door every day!

[/ QUOTE ]

newspapers are too expensive. it's a slow, outdated, and wasteful medium, and you have to pay money in addition to being bombarded by adverts?

If they delivered the paper for free i'd tell them to stop.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:17 PM

These things are practically disposable these days. I remember when I was a kid and we had the same big ass annoying metal "lawn chairs" that we had to cart around everywhere for my entire childhood.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily the best answer of the thread.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything that goes into a computer that was made last year.

[/ QUOTE ]