Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: PSA: Walking out of Costco/Sam\'s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Weird, I'm reading the same thread on that site now. I also saw that while you can get away with this stuff at places like WalMart and Bestbuy, they can yank your membership at Costco and Sam's Club because you've agreed to the searches when you signed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

How are they going to yank your membership? How do they know who you are? Don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

video security... it's really a question of if they care enough.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Weird, I'm reading the same thread on that site now. I also saw that while you can get away with this stuff at places like WalMart and Bestbuy, they can yank your membership at Costco and Sam's Club because you've agreed to the searches when you signed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

How are they going to yank your membership? How do they know who you are? Don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

video security... it's really a question of if they care enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think they have a clear, close up shot of your face that they can match to the database of customers? And you really think someone would do that by hand?

I'm sure if anything, they could use the video to see what register you took and at least at Sam's Club you have to swipe your card to buy crap.

The problem is that if this guy called Loss Prevention, they would just stare at him and be like "do you really think we care?" and then go about their actual business. There are far more important things they can be doing with their time.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never, ever been challenged on it. Literally I'd say hundreds of visits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess you're a douche then? Why not just show the you're reciept, is it really too much to ask?

I'm not talking about the times where you go and buy a pack of steaks and theres a line of 10 people with stacked carts waiting to get out, go ahead and bail, I've certainly skipped getting my stuff checked in situations like that, but wtf is your problem that you think you're better than everyone else and above their rules, however petty and pointless you think they are.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess you're a douche then? Why not just show the you're reciept, is it really too much to ask?

I'm not talking about the times where you go and buy a pack of steaks and theres a line of 10 people with stacked carts waiting to get out, go ahead and bail, I've certainly skipped getting my stuff checked in situations like that, but wtf is your problem that you think you're better than everyone else and above their rules, however petty and pointless you think they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you have purchased items from the store, they are your property. Your business with the store is done. What right does the store then have to make you line up waste your time before they permit you to leave the premises? Answer: none. If you don't want to follow their "rules", there's nothing legally that they can do about it.

It amazes me how quickly people turn into sheep in such situations. Anyone who doesn't conform is labelled a "trouble-maker" and accused of thinking he is "better than everyone else", when all these people are doing is asserting their rights as citizens of a "free country".
Old 02-11-2007, 01:22 AM

Why do you think his situations are necessarily so different from yours?
Old 02-11-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Video of a semi-successful attempt.
Costco

[/ QUOTE ]

omg, the other videos on that site

that guy is such a HUGE [censored]
Old 02-11-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you have purchased items from the store, they are your property. Your business with the store is done. What right does the store then have to make you line up waste your time before they permit you to leave the premises? Answer: none. If you don't want to follow their "rules", there's nothing legally that they can do about it.

It amazes me how quickly people turn into sheep in such situations. Anyone who doesn't conform is labelled a "trouble-maker" and accused of thinking he is "better than everyone else", when all these people are doing is asserting their rights as citizens of a "free country".

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe part of their business model that let them sell bulk stuff so cheaply was to minimize shrinkage by matching items to reciepts at the door. By paying for a membership there you agreed to follow their rules, which express that stop loss model. If you can't be bothered with those rules why shop there? You obviously like the benefits of other people following the rules, why can't you be bothered with it?

And wtf is this "sheep" crap? The rule isn't arbitrary or onerous, it helps them keep their costs down. Go shop at Target.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking the checker might pickout a few items he sees in the cart and check who was the last to buy those things and see which card was used. Whether they're actually going to go to all the trouble to do that, I don't know. Haven't ever tried, though I've only been to Sam's once alone and there was no line and I only had three things. They of course can also ban you from the store and then trying to come back would be trespassing. That's effectively the same as cancelling your membership.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:27 AM

You watch the videos and the manager explains it, there should be no more discussion. If you are a member of Costco you agree to a contract which states that you will agree to present your receipt at the door when you leave. There is no legal penalty in the courts saying they are allowed to stop you arbitrarily, for example Circuit City doesn't have any right to stop you but you entered a contract when you signed up with Costco. You can argue that they won't be able to pull your membership if you want to try and get away with it but at some level you are in the wrong, if not legally, morally for agreeing to present your receipt at the door when you signed on with them.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Video of a semi-successful attempt.
Costco

[/ QUOTE ]
Their case would have been so much more sympathetic if they weren't gigantic douchebags about this. Of course the checker guy was out of line when he grabbed for the cart, but this was definitely the wrong way to go about this.