FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Douchiest single piece of clothing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
forearm sweatbands

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are playing a sport, sweatbands are just stupid.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I was trying to point out that the livestrong bracelets went from "charity item" to "fashion item" pretty quickly, and the fact that proceeds went to cancer research became a secondary issue.

I could be wrong, though. If people are still buying those things so they can point to them and say, "I hate cancer, too!" then they're pretty bad, but I think at this point most of those plastic wristbands are the slap bracelets of the 90's.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much, I just think that most things that classify as trendy would also classify as douchy. imo. If anyone ever wore one of these, can you please tell me why?

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy who had the next office to me has a daughter with childrens diabetes. He asked me if I wanted to buy one of his wrist bands. He always wore his and it was light blue. I went out to lunch with him just about everyday, and I became his friend. So, I wore the bracelet just because of that.

When he quit the firm a few months later, I no longer wore it.

I didn't care about the deeper issues one way or another, but I think it made him feel happy. So, I only invested one buck and wore the band and made this guy feel better.

If I knew someone with cancer, etc., I'd probably wear one for that. It's really no big deal and it amounts to free advertising for a worthwhile cause.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I was trying to point out that the livestrong bracelets went from "charity item" to "fashion item" pretty quickly, and the fact that proceeds went to cancer research became a secondary issue.

I could be wrong, though. If people are still buying those things so they can point to them and say, "I hate cancer, too!" then they're pretty bad, but I think at this point most of those plastic wristbands are the slap bracelets of the 90's.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much, I just think that most things that classify as trendy would also classify as douchy. imo. If anyone ever wore one of these, can you please tell me why?

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy who had the next office to me has a daughter with childrens diabetes. He asked me if I wanted to buy one of his wrist bands. He always wore his and it was light blue. I went out to lunch with him just about everyday, and I became his friend. So, I wore the bracelet just because of that.

I didn't care about the deeper issues one way or another, but I think it made him feel happy. So, I only invested one buck and wore the band and made this guy feel better.

If I knew someone with cancer, etc., I'd probably wear one for that. It's really no big deal and it amounts to free advertising for a worthwhile cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

the first logical argument i've heard for wristbands that has made sense.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:18 AM

surprised no one has mentioned the utilikilt...i have never seen anyone not look like a douche in one of these
2) same with the affliction shirts
3)crocs

Old 11-13-2007, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the first logical argument i've heard for wristbands that has made sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my best friends is 21 years old. In October, he just got his 3-year mark for his testicular cancer in remission. Another friend's mother is constantly fighting off things that are likely related to the cancer she has survived.

There are lots of people close to me, both friends and family, who have been affected by cancer. I never take mine off. If you think that makes me a douche, that's not really my problem.

I really don't see how you could call the Livestrong bracelet, or others of its ilk, douchey. The person wearing it may be one if he is wearing it just to look cool, but I don't think any product which gives 100% of its proceeds to charity is a bad thing. There are worse things than getting money for cancer research from people who just think it looks cool.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:09 AM

Scarface people: You guys do realize he was unhappy, lost everything, was hated by everyone, and died a premature death do to his obsession and greed for money? Better wear a t-shirt and put a poster on the wall about it.

RE: Livestrong Bracelet

I definitely agree it morphed into a douchebag trademark for young people to wear one of these. However, they have sold 50 million of these which help Cancer research. Also, Lance Armstrong is a pretty badassed athlete and it is pretty tough to look at his accomplishments and not be a fan. Therefore, I feel like if I watched the Tour De France when he was winning and have read his autobiography that I reserve the right to wear a livestrong bracelet. That being said, I have never exercised that right.

This is a very tough one for me.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
surprised no one has mentioned the utilikilt...i have never seen anyone not look like a douche in one of these
2) same with the affliction shirts
3)crocs

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a picture of Dids in one of these. But I'm not allowed to post it.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:22 AM

I'm surprised anyone has the nerve to say a bracelet bought in support of cancer research and worn in an effort to encourage others to do the same is douchey.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 PM

Perhaps its just me, but Hooters T-Shirts are beyond douchey for me. I cring every time I see some tub of lard with a hairy back wearing one.

One exception: hot chicks w/racks or their employees.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised anyone has the nerve to say a bracelet bought in support of cancer research and worn in an effort to encourage others to do the same is douchey.

[/ QUOTE ]

But but but.....they're trendy!