Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Be prepared

I'm new the the health and fitness forum....

I'm a 20 year old college student. 6'2 210lbs. I drink 4-5 nights a week hardcore. Eat like [censored], and haven't exercised consistently since winter quarter.

I'm going home for the summer, because I hate the way my life is going right now... and I feel super unhealthy.

I used to be the most healthy person, I weighed around 185 with a personal trainer, and my BF was around 9-10%

So 2+2, I have a question....

I'm going to not drink this summer, change my diet and follow a 100% 6 small meals, only chicken, tuna, eggs, vegetables, fish etc, get my old personal trainer, alternate running each day between HIIT and long distance and train in Brazilian Ju Jitsu, and Muay Thai with Jorge Gurgel around 4 nights a week.

Would 2+2 be interested in a log with updated pictures, daily diet log, daily workout log, BJJ/Muay Thai updates etc.

This will be starting on Monday June 11th.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Be prepared

sure, go ahead and post it...not only will it entertain us it will serve as some motivation for you to continue on your goals...good luck...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I drink 4-5 nights a week hardcore.

[/ QUOTE ]

O your not hardcore (no your not hardcore)
unless you live hardcore (unless you live hardcore)
Old 06-11-2007, 02:18 AM

i would say don't quit drinking cold turkey... have a beer with dinner often
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 AM

I think making all these huge drastic changes is a recipe for not making it. Obviously dont stick to drinkin 4-5 times a week, but still go out and have fun with your freinds. Otherwise it just becomes a chore to workout and youll get bored and quit.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think making all these huge drastic changes is a recipe for not making it. Obviously dont stick to drinkin 4-5 times a week, but still go out and have fun with your freinds. Otherwise it just becomes a chore to workout and youll get bored and quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Our OP in this case is young, was in good shape recently, and probably pissed about being a relative fatty for perhaps the first time in his life, so I'd imagine he has a great shot at success this summer. He'll probably be back at the same starting point next summer though. I pretty much did the same thing every year until I was 24 as well.

To OP, please post a log, and good luck. Your plan seems extremely aggressive, my only comment is to listen to your body and take the rest after tough workouts if you want to experience the full benefit of them.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:46 PM

"train in Brazilian Ju Jitsu, and Muay Thai with Jorge Gurgel around 4 nights a week."

Why are you using skill specific training for the purpose of getting in shape in general?

I mean if youre interested in learning those... ok... maybe. But if youre in it simply to get in better shape... Well then youre wasting the instructor/class's time by huffing and puffing through something (martial arts training) that you should try to be in shape enough to absorb as opposed to worrying about your fitness.

Also; Cost?

Some training centers are pretty pricey and though I know nothing about the price scales in this place I would suggest that buying a regular old gym membership and working from there would beat paying for skill specific training that you're going to labor through.

In short tons of people pay a good sum of money per year to roll or spar where the focus becomes far less about the skill and far more about basic fitness. If you're truly interested in martial arts work on getting yourself in solid shape beforehand so you can get value out of your time. If you're just interested in fitness... don't be "that guy" at the local gym because he saw the UFC and noted that the guys were in shape... and did bjj... thus to get in shape he must do bjj, etc.