Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: PAT

ghostface,

Where was this played? How long was it playing? Were you nervous? What did the other guys in your group shoot?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:04 PM

I would like to hear more about your experience also. Sounds like you didn't have the confidence you needed going in this time just from lack of practice. Do you think you could have made it in today's conditions given your game was sharp? How many players made it?

Go get'em next time.

Edit to add when I was younger we had a friend we all thought was great. The first time he took the playing test the conditions were perfect and he still needed to knock down a 12-foot par putt on the last hole to make it by a shot.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM

the PAT is not by any means easy, its a completely different ballgame. im in pgm too at penn state and however ridiculous it is about 10% of people pass each time its offered. i'd suggest once u get in midseason form in a month or so just go on the "pat tour" for a week when you feel good about your game
Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ghostface,

Where was this played? How long was it playing? Were you nervous? What did the other guys in your group shoot?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was played at Prestonwood Country Club in Cary, NC. I wouldn't say I was really nervous but nerves were a bit of a factor at the start until I was warmed up and playing etc. The other guys in my group shot 88, 86 and 71, 74.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to hear more about your experience also. Sounds like you didn't have the confidence you needed going in this time just from lack of practice. Do you think you could have made it in today's conditions given your game was sharp? How many players made it?

Go get'em next time.

Edit to add when I was younger we had a friend we all thought was great. The first time he took the playing test the conditions were perfect and he still needed to knock down a 12-foot par putt on the last hole to make it by a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of a field of 29, 2 people passed. If my putting had been a little sharper I would have easily adjusted to the faster greens. I was really expecting what I had seen in March, and combined with the new conditions and general lack of playing so far this year, it was too much.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:04 AM

Sorry man, bad weather sucks during a PAT, if you had one lower, you could have gotten into the program at least(you are aware of that, right?) We had perfect weather for the triple play today and my teammate and I managed to tie for last place.

tobdog
Old 05-01-2007, 12:07 AM

Program? I'm in the PGM program already at NC State.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry man, bad weather sucks during a PAT, if you had one lower, you could have gotten into the program at least(you are aware of that, right?) We had perfect weather for the triple play today and my teammate and I managed to tie for last place.

tobdog

[/ QUOTE ]

The first time I was supposed to take it I drove 3 hours for the practice round, doubled the first hole and shot 73. Then it got rained out.

The first time I took it, I hit the ball great the first 18 and putted like azz to shoot 76. The guys I was playing with (didn't scare making it) were telling me how I had it made.

It pizzed me off because I was like "What the hell are ya'll talking about, that is as good as I can hit it and I still shot 76. What is going to happen when I don't hit it as well on the next 18?"

Found out at the turn that the "target score" was 155 which was two more than I thought. Lost a ball three feet off the greem on a par three with no trouble on the second hole of the last 18 and continued my putting woes. I had to play the last four holes even par to make it. I played them two under. That was 2002. Haven't done jack in the program since.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:07 AM

PAT info

if you miss passing twice but shoot one round(18) no more than 5 over the target score/2 you can register as an apprentice and get started in the program, but you must complete/pass it before you register for level 3(I think, it might be register for L3 checkpoint). When I got in you had to pass first, that kept a lot of people out for a long time that could not pass it. The PGA has changed their tune now seeing that the growth of PGA members is not as fast as they like.

tobdog
Old 05-01-2007, 11:25 AM

im not at all worried about it, i putted so much worse that i do on most bad days. putting is like my strongest part of my game and i think i literally had 80 putts.

rofl...added up putts for the first round, 43, nuff said.