http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c-thnNSchs
Old 09-18-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: God help me, roommate drama advice wanted

Nice.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just picking a blind roommate and not finding out what their lifestyle is like is just dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you supposed to do this? Stalk them for a week? Ask to move in for three days just to see if they're a whack-job? If you have no common friends you go with you gut and hope for the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would your gut tell you to room with someone who works a graveyard shift and is awake 100% of the time you're sleeping? Come on. A simple "oh hey, what do you do for your job/living/income?" is a pretty standard question when you speak with a person before you move in. This can follow up and lead to questions about weekend hobbies and such. It's not that hard to come across in normal conversation.

Whatever.

Apparently I'm the only one that doesn't blindly select a roommate without knowing anything about the person.

Al: I totally get that it could be livable, but I think you overestimate the amount of normal people that live in this world. Having a person who works late nights like that would just send red flags all over the place for me. I know that this is an extreme case, but assuming that this person worked the same hours as OP, even if they were obnoxious about TV/stereo/drugs while he was home in the evening/afternoon it would be infinitely more bearable.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just picking a blind roommate and not finding out what their lifestyle is like is just dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you supposed to do this? Stalk them for a week? Ask to move in for three days just to see if they're a whack-job? If you have no common friends you go with you gut and hope for the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

yah crazy people never lie. what's she going to say. when i'm drunk and on drugs, i like to come in really late, and be really loud, then flip out on you. are you ok with that?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:28 PM

aK - I haven't had a roommate in years, and only lived with a good friend of mine when I did have one... your point is not lost on me and of course people should do their diligence.

But the other thing you're not taking into account is how time-sensitive OP's (or anyone's) move is. If you've got say a week to find a new place you don't have time to be that picky.

-Al
Old 09-18-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work around 8:30 AM to 5 PM and wake up around 6:30 AM.

[/ QUOTE ]

working too hard can give you a heartattack-ack-ack-ack, i think.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not interested in a full-blown interpersonal blowup if I can avoid it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is also a good idea, because you should never argue with a crazy room-ma-ma-ma-ma
Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM

I would pack up my stuff and leave when she's at work. Then go to her work and tell her you're moving out. This will probably avoid some major conflict. The plus side is if it does result in major conflict, she will also be fired and/or arrested.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:37 PM

B-

The best advice I can offer, as a non-confrontational wimp-ass myself, is to leave a note and invest in some earplugs. The note should be free of blame, accusations, or anything else that will make her react defensively. Just a well written and well thought out polite note might do the trick. Extend the olive branch while you are in her apartment but feel free to smack her with it once out.

Have not seen you in a while... I PM'ed you if you need a place to crash for a while.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:10 PM

Call her parents expressing your deep concern about her well being and abuse of heavy drugs...
OR call the cops, you think your roomate is dealing drugs.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM

Just want to wait it out till you leave.

Good luck!