Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: How to make that almost impossible decision....

Where are you located? I would think the chance of failure is pretty high, there's going to be a certain break even point in terms of number of members, and there's no guarantee a new, unaffiliated gym gets there. Even if you make it to profitability you have to realize you are going to be losing money for an extended period of time at the beginning(in addition to whatever investment you need to make for equipment and remodeling, which would probably be pretty large).
Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM

that's why we have the personal training to fall back on. The personal training aspect is already established, and I'm pretty sure he's bringing in somewhere around 100k per year.

The mma AT MOST would be a small money maker. We're leaning towards doing it more because we are interested in it, wanting to learn it, get better, and the mma is just another advertising for the personal training AKA people come in to do MMA, see us training people/see they need to get stronger, then they ask us to train them... That's where the real money maker is.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:33 PM

If you're truly considering this, you're going to need more information than "I'm pretty sure he's bringing in 100k." Why haven't you checked this dude's books?

And if you're interested in learning MMA, there are better ways to do so than starting an MMA business, like taking an MMA class.... I'm also interested in how you're figuring that having MMA classes in your gym is going to draw people to your personal traning business? I take BJJ and have several friends who train MMA. Most people who take it as a hobby, ie me, get enough of a workout rolling that we don't need personal training to supplement it. And I believe that those who are serious enough about MMA that they feel compelled to have help with their diet and training regimen will want to train with an established camp.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:08 AM

100k a year is charging 50 dollars an hour. just so you know. assuming he is working 40 hours a week. In tennis, people charge upward to 80 dollars an hour and golf a standard pro is like 80-150 dollars an hour.

Seems like your gonna be doing alot of grinding. Doesn't seem super profitable unless, one of you guys are a really big deal and get alot of people.