Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 12:06 AM

Default College Student Resume?

Warning: also posted in OOT, just trying to get good feedback

So, I'm trying to apply for some internships/jobs for this summer possibly next year/next summer.

What type of things should you put on your resume if you attend college and don't have very much REAL work experience.

I'm a Finance/Accounting major and I guess it's good that I've worked at banks as a teller.

Should you just include clubs that your in? highschool stats? Fraternity stuff?

I'm kind of confused and stuck because I'm using a resume template through word but its asking for like profession experience plus academic status...

any and all help appreciated!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: College Student Resume?

burko - pm me ur resume and ill help you with it. if you want proof of legit-ness, ill pm you.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:19 AM

talk to someone at your school's career services office. until you can, here's my school's advice
Old 03-31-2007, 04:00 AM

Leave out all your high school stuff. Places won't give a [censored] about that anymore.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Leave out all your high school stuff. Places won't give a [censored] about that anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-31-2007, 04:54 AM

If you're a freshman or soph. some high school stuff makes sense since you haven't had time to do much in college yet.

I'm hoping to also include some basic/major stuff in it when I apply for my first jobs as a senior, but I'm still not sure on this. For example, some places ask for SAT scores and mine def help my case.

Also, things I'm less sure about:
-NASA summer research program between junior and senior years (eye catching name and very applicable experience in terms of teamwork and learning analysis, but 4+ years old)
-Placed 2nd in individual state math contest as junior (pretty major and math contests (other than putnam) don't exist at college level. this seems better than some random junk awards people put down.)
-eBay business I started in HS and continued into freshman year (part of college, but probably not even worth including)

Opinions welcome!
Old 03-31-2007, 09:54 AM

Dont use the word template, people in HR will have seen it many times before. Also, do not put down any fraternity stuff you will run into too many people that will immediately be biased against you.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Include any relevant coursework (specific to the job you're applying for), clubs you're in (especially if you hold leadership positions in any of them) etc. Some high school stuff is ok depending on what it is - GPA probably not necessary, but if you recieved any awards or were captain of the math team I'd include it. I had a few employers ask me for my SAT scores as I applied for jobs during senior year. Fraternity/Sorority stuff could be included if, again, you hold any positions - VP of finance, for example - but dont just put down "blah blah blah fraternity" as an activity.
Something else to think about is that more and more employers are checking out internet profiles - facebook, myspace, friendster, etc. - of potential hires, so you may want to either change the privacy settings of your profiles or make sure that while you're applying for jobs, there's nothing on there that you wouldn't want your future boss to see.