Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 03:55 PM

Default weekly SNG: 3 players left, pocket 77 on the button.

Here is a hand i played in a live game. I think I played it pretty badly, but I just want to know what people would have done in my situation.

Here is the situation:
Only 3 persons left.
Stacks:
Me (Button): 4000 chips
SB: 5000 chips.
BB: 4000 chips.

SB has been really aggressive since the beginnning of the game. He is in a "raise/reraise or fold" mode since the final table, where he had used his stack (he was a huge chip leader) nicely. He is not a good postflop player, but his preflop skill are great.

BB is hard to label: unpredictable, sometimes too loose, sometimes too tight. Since the game is 3-handed, he did a lot of reraise all-in, mostly with pockets pairs or A-x (ace with good kicker... and ace with damn bad kicker like A-3). Not a good postflop player, neither a good preflop player... He is just a "little above average" kind of poker player.

Since the last 15 minutes, i did like 3-4 big raise preflop, and each of them got reraised (3 time by the guy on BB, one time by the guy on SB), and each time, I fold like a little girl. I'm usually a semi-loose aggressive player, with good skills postflop. In this particular game, I'm mostly tight-aggressive, but both vilains know my typical type of game.

Blinds: 150/300.
On the button, I saw 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I raise at 1000.

SB fold.
BB raise all-in (for the third time in my last 4 raises preflop), making the bet 4000 total.

Do you call here?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Re: weekly SNG: 3 players left, pocket 77 on the button.

Considering your reads you should call at this point, however you got your self into this mess by not just raising all-in. Considering SB, and BB have both re-raised your raises in past...they probably feel that they can do it again with a more than likely chance you will fold. Take the pressure off yourself next time and push all-in. By pushing all in you give yourself fold equity, in other words the 450 you will get for free probably 8/10 times when you dont get a call. By raising, and then calling some elses re-raise you lose the fold equity which in the long run amounts to allot. Just do the math, if were in this situation 10 times....and you pushed all 10 times, then you will get 450 8 times for free which equals 450*8=3600. the other 2 times you will get called and prob be doing a 50/50. but if you are just going to raise and then be willing to call a re-raise all in you will find yourself doig this 50/50 all 10/10 times. hope this makes sense
Old 09-26-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Re: weekly SNG: 3 players left, pocket 77 on the button.

Agreed. Just push pf while you have some FE.