Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD [OCT]***

[ QUOTE ]
Need a good, modern action/thriller type film to watch this evening. Suggestions?

edit: and a big LOL at the Bears game tonight especially after all the Griese/Grossman hooplah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Derailed is a good choice. Clive Owen is great as usual and Jeenifer Aniston is hot as usual. Pretty interesting, twisty plot.

there's a movie with Jean-Claude Van Damme by the same name but I assume it sucks.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Oh I saw A History of Violence a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. I mainly watched it b/c I thought it had a sweet title. It's not a thriller per se but I don't ever remember being bored or anything.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Already kinda covered this before but meh, I still don't get it. What are the ACTUAL reasons for the American revolution? How does the reality compare to what you are taught in schools (and are you taught about the hypocracies of the revolution?)? Are the English portrayed as pure oppressors or are you told about the good things the English did for the colonists aswell as the bad? Please pm me if you don't wana clog/geek up the life thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

In early school years (i.e. up to 8th grade or about 13/14 y/o), a fantasy story is generally taught. The fantasy includes the British as evil oppressors, the founding fathers as heroes, no discussion of internal disagreements, etc. It is really a propagandized version of the real events. Once you get to high school, it mostly continues with some more clarifications about some details and internal conflicts. General ed classes don't really teach you much and continue the fantasy.

Some AP courses (or if you have a good teacher) will be a lot more accurate. Luckily for me, I had a pretty decent teacher and learned a fairly accurate version of events that surprised me with how much they differed from the previous versions I've learned.

Without rambling, we teach it pretty inaccurately and self-servingly. This isn't very surprising as most people are still told "Columbus discovered America!!!!1" and that the US Civil War was entirely about slavery.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't very surprising as most people are still told "Columbus discovered America!!!!1"

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't??
Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't very surprising as most people are still told "Columbus discovered America!!!!1"

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't??

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with 2p2 nowadays is that I never know if I am being levelled or not when someone says something I find surprising. It evokes a weird mindset that is pretty much unique to reading 2p2.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM

Icelandic vikings were the first "europeans" to set foot on America. But they weren't the first people there, so they didn't "discover" it.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Icelandic vikings were the first "europeans" to set foot on America.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, and it's hard to argue anyone other than Native Americans "discovered" America when they had been here for like 30,000 years.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't??

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not! Now allow me to tell you about the cameras inside your TV that watch everything you do!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:14 PM

toybux,

Serious question. What were the main reasons for the American civil war?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
toybux,

Serious question. What were the main reasons for the American civil war?

[/ QUOTE ]

In summary, it was a distribution of power issue combined with an economic issue. The Southern states were upset with the feeling of the Northern states trying to impose their viewpoint (on slavery in particular) on the south via the federal government. The North's industrial economy was much less dependent on slavery than the south's economy, so the push for abolition was largely concentrated in the north. The south's view on the role of the central government was different (thus their belief in the right of secession) The North is portrayed as fighting to free the slaves, and the South is portrayed as fighting to keep their slaves. In reality, the south was fighting for states' rights and the north was fighting to preserves the power of the federal government and the unified US.

Reading my post, this is a weak summary, but if you check Wiki or a college history textbook you should be able to get a better summary. Slavery was the central issue in a greater conflict about the role of government in the US.

Edit: Wolf, where is your avatar from? That looks really familiar but I can't quite place it.
Closed Thread